Chapter 3

A chill wind blew cold air across a closed window pane as Jess sat wrapped in blankets staring out at the cold scene of the winter. As she sat a soft sigh of contentment escaped her lips as she remembered University didn't start back up until a week after the New Year. The year that Holy Grail, the most awaited moment of Jess' entire life it seemed, was to be released. Smiling at the thought of Michael Palin dressed as a knight in shining armor she wrapped the blankets closer around her and glanced up at the calendar to her left—December 24th. Christmas Eve. A clump of mistletoe pinned to the doorway by her flat mate caught her eye and her thoughts about Michael turned somber. She hadn't seen Michael for months; her last encounter was that jubilant evening in the beginning of summer after the end of a year at University.

After snogging in the park a bit Michael asked Jess for a walk and the two of them spent a wonderful evening breathing in the fresh park air and talking to each other about anything and everything.

I remember him being so adamant about that book he was reading. How adorable... Michael Palin is such a nerd, he's amazing.

Jess smiled again as she remembered the look on Michael's face during a random moment when she was talking. He seemed to be staring into the very depths of her soul, he looked as though he was admiring the most beautiful garden of flowers he had ever seen, as though deep inside her eyes Michael could spot a world of beauty that intrigued him to his core.

Mike walked Jess home in the dark; a soft, sweet smile playing about his lips. They arrived at Jess' flat as Michael had just finished acting daft and quoting Gumby Brain Specialist which had Jess clutching her stomach with laughter. As Jess calmed down Michael became suddenly serious and confessed the fact that he had no idea when he would have time to see her again with all that was happening with Python and now finding work after finishing up the movie. Due to this Mike had asked Jess for her telephone number so he could at least keep in contact with her even if he wasn't able to see her directly. On a few occasions Jess would be pleasantly surprised to receive a call from the cute Python, he would tell her what his current plans were and how everything was going with Monty Python—he'd also always apologize for not being able to see her.

I feel like an idiot not asking him for HIS number, I always have to wait for him to call me. I wonder if I'll ever see him again... At least he hasn't completely forgotten about me. The last phone call was a couple weeks ago though. I hope he hasn't found someone else.

Jess sunk deeper into her blanket cocoon of emotional turmoil and gazed outside the window once again into the bleak December day. Her mind left Michael Palin behind for a few moments as she contemplated the fact that her flat mate had asked her to come to a Christmas party that night. Jess still hadn't given a straight answer as to whether or not she would actually go but at this moment she wasn't particularly in the mood for a party.

Tomorrow's Christmas... You know what I want? I want Michael Palin for Christmas.

In the middle of giggling over that silly thought the flat's telephone rang and Jess let out a groan of annoyance. Unwillingly she got up, blankets still wrapped around her, and walked towards the phone, picking it up and answering after a couple rings.

"Hello?" Jess asked with little enthusiasm.

"Jess? Is that you?" a soft, familiar voice called through the receiver.

"Michael?!" the blankets fell to Jess' feet as she realized who was on the other end of the call.

It was a cold bleak day much like the one in which Jess had sat inside moping. When Michael had finally built up the courage to phone Jess he picked up the telephone and dialed her number from the same small piece of crumpled paper she had first written it on.

Despite being somewhat of a celebrity and knowing for a fact that Jess liked him Mike still couldn't get over a sense of nervousness on this particular call. The reason for this unease was his inexperience of asking a girl to go to a party with him. The Beeb were having a party on New Year's Eve to celebrate the date and the release of Holy Grail the next day. Many different people were going to be there; sponsors, Pythons, BBC people, the usual kind of crowd around a Python production but with some exceptions. Michael also felt guilty for leaving Jess so long without a phone call—he really did like her very much but he had just been so busy, and thoughts of his future clouded his head causing him anxiety.

Mikey fidgeted anxiously with the telephone cord as he listened to the phone ring out. At last a familiar voice sounded at the other end and, attempting to ignore the shock wave that coursed through his body, Michael nervously muttered a hello. The two caught up on what had been happening in the past few weeks. Both jovially laughing and chatting, grateful to hear the other's voice.

EventuallyMichael stopped beating around the bush and finally asked Jess if she wouldlike to accompany him to the party. Michael was ecstatic to hear Jess reply that she would love to. The tone of her voice betrayed the fact thatshe was overjoyed at the thought of finally being with Michael again.

Eventually Jess put the phone back on the receiver, slowly and subconsciously.  After a few minutes of staring at the wall, smile on her face, her flat mate who had been standing in the door way to the other room the whole time with a knowing smirk laughed and turned to walk back into the other room, startling Jess out of her starry dreams of beautiful, brown eyed luscious-haired, Michael Palin.  Jess smiled at her snarky flat mate's good natured laugh and heaved a deep sigh then broke into a huge grin.  

Merry Christmas to me.