Distance

Somehow Karura felt at peace amid the chaotic destruction caused by her two eldest, and her soft lips twisted up into a delicate smile, fully enjoying the look of discomfort on her auburn haired husband's face. Rasa had never been one to be open with his feelings purposefully, and she took delight when some kind of emotion broke through the stubborn man's features. This particular case of discomfort resulted from Rasa's compulsion for everything to go just right.

Finding out why the two toddlers destroyed the living room never happened, nor did the sandy haired young woman ever find out how Rasa handled the situation.

Instead Karura constantly found herself staring into a pair of brown eyes which looked at her as if she would break into a million pieces, and she missed the touch of his calloused hands, as Rasa's fear of her breaking managed to extend to physical affections despite there no longer being a use for a wheelchair. "How long are you going to avoid me?"

Karura watched the auburn haired man flinch, Rasa's brown eyes looking right into her own, allowing the woman to read the guilt written there, and instantly she knew he was emotionally hurting, but her husband wouldn't let her fingers sooth his mood with her delicate touch. Instead Temari and Kankuro clung to Karura's side while the familiar head of auburn hair remained hidden in his home office, and Rasa also refused to visit Gaara in the hospital.

 Instead Temari and Kankuro clung to Karura's side while the familiar head of auburn hair remained hidden in his home office, and Rasa also refused to visit Gaara in the hospital

Being able to bring the tiny infant home delighted her, and Karura's two eldest finally met their little brother. Temari's indigo colored eyes widened, the small corners of the girl's mouth twisting up as a small finger slipped into her mouth, but Kankuro's mouth twisted into a scowl similar to the one Rasa used, the child's small fists balled up as his arms crossed his chest.

Rasa noted their presence on the couch, and his dark eyes drifted down to the small child, the man's auburn hair currently just as messy as the small infants locks of hair. The man stepped over, a mug of hot coffee in one of his calloused hands.

"Taking a break?"

The auburn haired man continued to stare at the infant, the look in his eyes switching from fear of breaking something precious to one of utter dread. "Is there something wrong with him?"

Karura's throat tightened upon hearing these words from her husband, the tone of voice completely emotionless, as if Rasa had chosen to distance himself from some kind of problem. Her indigo eyes begged for there to be some kind of mistake. "What do you mean?"

"He's ust staring at nothing. Temari and Kankuro didn't do that."

"They also weren't preemies." Yashamaru's voice broke made Rasa lock eyes on her sandy haired brother instead, but eventually her auburn haired husband headed back into his office.

"Otouto..."

"Don't nee-chan. He was willing to act as a father when the children were born healthy, but because Gaara.."

"That's not it." Karura brushed a soft lock away from Gaara's forehead. "It's complicated, his moods."

"I'm worried about you. I've not seen him like this before."

"I have. It's really nothing to worry about."

Rasa avoided everyone even more then, and Karura found herself doing things on her own. She sat at the foot of her bed on the floor, supported by pillows when Temari came up at her, a curious look in the toddlers indigo eyes. "Baby?"

Karura's own indigo eyes blinked. "So you want to hold the baby?" She watched as a smile spread across the four year old's face, and she set the girl down explaining how to hold the baby so Temari wouldn't hurt the baby, and out of the corner of her eye noticed Kankuro watching. The sandy haired woman settled back, watching her daughter hold the baby, her eyes dropping from exhaustion.