Queen of Light, Queen of Dark

Years have gone by, but not a day has passed where Link does not think about Midna. She’s his first thought when he wakes up, his last when he retires for the night. When he helps Uli with baby Kate, he often stares into the distance, lost in thoughts about his old companion. Uli snaps him out of it with promises of a homemade dinner, which he politely declines in favor of further chores. He occasionally aids Fado with herding the goats, but Colin has grown into the ripe age of 16, so he often takes care of it. Once, Link nearly crashed Epona into the gate because he was so distracted by thoughts of Midna.

                Meanwhile, Beth helps her sickly mother by running the shop. Beth’s Mom’s weight has contributed to severe knee pains, and she must only foods that have no weakness. Her husband holds ice to her aching body and cooks her food. Both Beth and her father worry much, but there’s not much they can do. Only the cat keeps Beth company as she runs the shop and occasionally a customer, but as of late Talo has been wandering in with some excuse or other. Link knows it’s because he loves her, and he smiles sadly.

                Talo’s family misses their brother and son, Malo, who is running both his shops in Kakariko Village and Castle Town. His mother is very happy that he is so successful, but she also worries for him and looks forward to the occasional letter.

                Ilia is rarely seen around town any more, but she is still important to the thriving of the village. She fashions all the clothes for everyone, which is so much work that she barely eats. Her father Bo is often seen conversing with the able-bodied men of the village, which only consists of Link, Colin, Rusl, Fado and Talo’s father. Beth’s father is much too busy with his wife, so he cannot. Talo is much too young himself at 14 to participate, but next year he will be considered.

                Link gets many letters from many of his friends across Hyrule. Ralis, now old enough to be a proper King, invites him to celebrations of all sorts in the Zora throne room. Likewise, the Goron leader Darbus also asks him to participate in festivities, but he doesn’t go to many of them. He enjoys his simple life in his own village.

                Telma, Zelda, and Renaldo try to get in touch with him as well, but Link only replies with the very basics, never mentioning how much he hurts inside. They always ask him to visit, he says, “Of course,” but he never finds the time. They all talk of parties with his closest friends, but plans have never been made. More often than not, he is asked to help with something. Renaldo needs supplies, Telma’s bar has been overrun with rats despite her Goron guards, Oocoo  Jr. is starving for adventure. He tries his best, but some days he can’t find the motivation to get out of bed.

                This particular morning, Link feels no sun on his face. Peering outside, he notices the clouds have hidden the sun’s rays and that droplets of water have condensed on the glass. There is a strange swirl of light and dark clouds, mixing and arranging just like the Twilight Realm.

                This is weather Midna would love, he thinks, and winces.

                He pulls himself upright and climbs down his ladder. He looks wistfully at his beautifully crafted Hylian shield hung on the wall next to his Ordon sword that he stole from Rusl at Midna’s command so long ago. As he walks to his front door he picks up the Hero’s bow he retrieved from Death Mountain, strokes its length, and places it down again. Since then, his muscles have atrophied slightly—he hasn’t been doing work as hard as he once did.

                He drops the Hero’s bow and leaves for the day’s work.

                As soon as he steps outside, he feels cold rain splattering his face. It stings a bit, but it’s refreshing. He realizes it would be a great fishing day, and no one will be out, so he returns inside to retrieve the fishing pole Colin fashioned for him six years ago. He climbs down the ladder, pats Epona on the nose, and is glad that he built a proper stable for her months ago. He finds a piece of fruit that has fallen from a tree and feeds her, then walks off to his favorite fishing spot. He passes the pumpkin field and sends the goddesses a “thank you” for the rain. They needed it after the drought.