Chapter 9

“Your eyes are red.” She spoke slowly not breaking eye contact. I was hooked on her, she was like a drug. She had control over every part of my body, including the demons inside. My mind was slowly fighting them off. I stared at her not wanting to and not being able to look away. Her grip around me tightened and the blood from her arm slowly trickled down the back of my neck. I was no longer focussed on the smell of her blood but focussed on how beautiful she was, how beautiful every girl was that I had killed. Guilt washed over me, I broke eye contact for a second and the demons saw their chance and took over. They fed on my weakness, which was guilt. Kayleigh could tell I was struggling but didn’t run. She let her arm fall from my head so I’d turn to face her again. “Fight it Nathan.” She said sternly, before I could think my lips were on hers. The kiss turned passionate and the demons seemed to have subsided. The urge to feed was no longer strong…I in fact felt myself becoming weak.

“I knew you could fight it off.” Kayleigh smiled proudly as she slowly wrapped her arm tightly in a bandage in hope of stopping the bleeding. “What if I couldn’t? I would have killed you!” I raised my voice as I spoke, I couldn’t get rid of the anger that was deep inside. “If you couldn’t you would have felt no guilt as your body and mind would have been taking over by the poison running through your veins. The demons would have taken over and you would have felt nothing but strength.” She spoke not even looking at me.  “About the kiss…” I went to speak but she cut me off. “You did what you had to do to beat them, I understand.” She smiled standing up and walking out the room leaving me sat there in my own thoughts.

I found myself walking the streets at night trying to burn off some of the strength I was feeling. Everything was becoming overwhelming. The power that I felt burning deep inside of me was becoming too much to handle and I had to release it somewhere. The strong smell of blood was in the air as people piled out of the local pub as it was closing time. I watched as my eyes caught one girl. Her blood strong above the rest. Her wind blowing in the slight breeze with a jacket perched on her shoulders, obviously not belonging to her due to its large size. The feeling started to build up inside me, my fans slowly shot out like the first time I was about to feed. I started to stroll across the road towards her just as she turned… I felt no control until my eyes met hers. She flashed a familiar smile before turning taking a man’s hand and leaving…It was her. It was Kate, the first person I ever killed, the first person I ever turned. She’d been cured.

I spent the whole night following her scent in hope of finding her, each time I was lead to a dead end. For someone who was no longer a vampire she sure did move fast. I found myself walking up to a house. The sun was starting to come up and the birds were awaking and tweeting away. I raised my hand to knock on the door but before I could it opened… “I knew you’d come eventually.” She smiled up at me, she had completely changed from the last time I had saw her. The evil in her eyes had vanished and were replaced with a small sparkle. Her eyes twinkled under the morning sun light. She moved out the way inviting me in and motioning me to take a seat in the living room. “How?” Was all I said, many thoughts were in my mind but none seemed to answer the question. How can someone be cured of something that was basically death? “I can’t tell you straight but all I’m saying is you have a chance at a cure you just got to search deep down within yourself and always stay true to you and you’ll get there.” Her words still left me confused. “You’re with the right person Nathan, you got to leave now as Derek my boyfriend will probably wake up soon…But remember one thing, you and Kayleigh would make a beautiful couple.” Kate winked at me before smiling as I got up to leave.

I had so many questions that I didn’t get the answer to and I left even more confused than what I was when I entered her house. Her words were like riddles to me. I made my way back to Kayleigh’s to find her already awake. “Please tell me you haven’t killed anyone?” She spoke in a panic she seemed to be staring into my soul her eyes wouldn’t break contact with mine. “There’s a cure.” I said unsure of what reaction I’d get. She stared at me blankly. “I saw Kate, I was gonna kill Kate until I knew it was her, she’s cured. She is human again.” I just finished what I was saying before Kayleigh’s arms were wrapped around me squeezing me tight. “This is amazing!! You’ll be normal again!” She squealed as she hugged me. I sighed making her let go. “It’s not that simple, I don’t know what the cure is she couldn’t tell me. All she said was I was with the right person and that we’d make a great couple?” I sat down finishing what I was saying. It killed me knowing I was so close to a cure but yet so far… I wanted nothing more than to be human again. To be loved again. To be normal again.

“Found anything?” Kayleigh asked as she lay down next to me running her fingers slowly up and down my arm. “Nothing.” I sighed in frustration slamming the laptop shut. I had spent hours searching the internet to find a cure, of course all I found was endless amounts of twilight and vampire dairies fan fiction. “I’m never going to be normal am I?”