Prologue

"Hello everyone, this is Elisa Franken and I'm here at yet another house where a girl has been taken away from us. Faye Hills was taken from her home here around four o'clock this morning. Police have spoken, saying that they believe that this kidnapping is connected to the other kidnappings that have struck Colorado. The other victims that have not been found yet are Caitlin Flores, Julie Poll, Amy Miller, Brittney Wills and what is stumbling police is that one boy was taken along with the girls, his name is Evan Scott."

            "Many of us reporters have asked police several times if they think that this is a copycat of the horrid kidnappings that happened a year ago, the Olive Kidnappings, but police have no comment on the matter. It appears like the same number of girls and one boy matches the Olive Kidnappings. It would be a very strange coincidence that this is all occurring at the one year mark of the Olive Kidnappings. So you tell me, are these kidnappings the same as what happened a year ago?" The short, monotoned reporter asked.

             I clicked off the TV in disgust. Why did reports have to compare everything to the Olive Kidnappings? I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it happened a year ago and now there are some kidnappings happening now. Crime never stops so why is this such a huge deal? There is no way the two cases are related.

             Today was the one year anniversary of being kidnapped and Kyle being locked up in prison. As this last year slowly passed, I thought less and less about Kyle. Unfortunately, with the one year mark happening, that has made my life a lot harder. Terrible memories that I have tried to hide away keep peaking back into my subconscious. With the new kidnappings occurring, my anxiety level has skyrocketed. I wasn't afraid of being kidnapped again because what is the likelihood of that? I was more afraid of what memories would be brought back up. I'd start to be the center of attention the more they talked about Kyle and the kidnappings. There was no way he was apart of these new kidnappings though, he was locked up behind bars.

            I decided to make an appointment to see my therapist today because of all the stress and balled up emotions I was feeling. My visits to the therapist were less and less but this was a special occasion. Since I was sixteen now, I was able to drive myself without relying on my aunt or uncle to drive me. I pulled up to the newly built building where I'd attempt to go and share my feelings.

           Dr. Klein was a middle-aged woman with long black hair and narrow hazel eyes. She was already in her office waiting for me, knowing what today means to me. When I walked into the office she greeted me with a small smile. I took a seat in my normal position on her microfiber cream colored couch. I immediately closed my eyes and rested my head against the back of the couch. This is what I typically did to relax and try to clear my mind. And typically that never worked.

           "I know today is significant for you. What are you feeling right now?" Dr. Klein asked.

          "I'm not really sure. Part of me still is terrified but then I remember that Kyle is locked up and can't hurt me anymore. Is it stupid to still be scared of him even if he's in prison?" I asked, opening my eyes and looking at her.

             "It's not stupid at all. What you went through was very traumatic and it's hard for those feelings to go away. This is just one milestone and usually, after every year, it will get less and less hard for you." She said.

          "The nightmare came back again last night." I whispered, ashamed that this became a problem again.

            It had been three months since I had a nightmare about Kyle but last night was the first time one occurred. Typically the nightmare was always flashbacks of the Bahamas or down in the cellar locked up, but this time it was different. I told Dr. Klein this and of course, she wanted me to tell her what happened. Since I woke up with tears running down my face and my body covered in sweat, I really didn't want to relive it but I knew Dr. Klein wouldn't stop asking about it. I began to retell the short nightmare that allowed me with no sleep last night.