Chapter 2

You can buy this book and the rest of the STORM PHASE series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords.

-----------------------------------

Just to spite his grandfather, Turesobei decided not to tell Arms Instructor Kilono to move away. But by the time he reached the steps of the Chonda Library, he turned around and went back. With gritted teeth, he delivered the message. Straight-faced Kilono let loose a sly smile and ordered his men to disband.

Restraining his anger, Turesobei trudged back to the library to relax and read, but not to study magic like his grandfather would want. His martial arts lessons wouldn't begin until the afternoon, and his riding lessons were after that. This much free time was rare and he wanted to delve into some books on nature and history. No philosophy, no metaphysics, and no magic.

“Why me?” he muttered. He wanted to do something new and exciting. He was sick of being cooped up in the tower memorizing runes, reciting casting phrases, and reviewing volumes of energy theory. Wizardry was difficult, but only in a tedious, do-everything-precisely sort of way. Managing the energy flows and understanding the concepts had always been easy for him.

Though he didn't mind dabbling with magic, Turesobei wanted to be an explorer, like his father. Not a high wizard. 

Not that he had a choice. 

Not that anyone had ever asked him what he wanted. 

His father got to roam all over Okoro. But Turesobei would be stuck here in the city of Ekaran for the rest of his life.

The Chonda Library consisted of a small but ornately decorated building with a three-tiered roof and a fenced-in garden out back. Turesobei removed his sandals and slid the paneled door aside. He was startled to find the head librarian standing in the doorway. She bowed and stepped aside so he could enter.

“Do you need help with anything today, my lord?” the librarian asked.

Bowing in respect for her position and age, he replied, “No, Head Librarian.”

“Well in that case, my lord, I am going off to run a few errands. If anyone needs me, tell them I will certainly return by the fourth gong. If not sooner.”

She shuffled out and Turesobei closed the door behind her. 

Inside, the library was filled with rows of wooden shelves that reached to the ceiling, and at various points there were tables with oil lamps and plush sitting mats. Turesobei thought about going outside but decided he shouldn’t, in case anyone came in looking for the Head Librarian. So he went to the table farthest from the entrance, near the open back door.

Turesobei placed his books on the table and browsed the library shelves. He removed books with interesting titles, read a few snippets, and then put them back. He wandered until he found one he couldn’t put down: Legends of the Eastern Continent. That was the land from which Turesobei’s people, the baojendari, had originated. 

Turesobei returned to his table and shoved his spell books aside. He noticed his channeling stone, his kavaru, was glowing.

He lifted the chain that held the stone around his neck.

“What’s this?”

As soon as he looked into the kavaru, the light went away. This wasn’t normal. The stone should never show any activity without him casting a spell or using some other wizard ability.

Was something wrong with it? Turesobei touched the stone to his forehead, matching it up to an unusually dark birthmark in the shape of a kavaru. This marked him as a baojendari noble, which meant his ancestry traced directly back to the ancient and magical Kaiaru race. Only people of the baojendari race could use the stones, and without such stones, wizards couldn’t cast even the most basic of spells.