Chapter 3

Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? Or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death? Job 38:17

"No, not the red one. Try this one!" I jumped off the bed and ran into my parent's closet. So after my date with Elijah, it was my parent's turn to go out tonight for some fun.

Dad said it was for a work banquet so I took it upon myself to help mom get ready by picking out her clothes and jewelry.

After trying on many, many, styles and colors of dresses, I forced her to sit down.

I went through her clothes and gasped when I saw this one dress, "What?" Mom called from outside the doorway. "After all these dresses and you haven't tried this one on?! This one looks perfect." I thrusted the deep navy blue dress into her hands.

"Go! Try it on. Your already late." I shouted happily. Well I'm not happy that they are late, but I'm happy that I may have found her a perfect dress.

She quickly slipped it on and I zipped the back up for her, "Turn, give me a little spin." She laughed as she twirled.

"Jennifer, we're going to be late!" Dad yelled from downstairs. "Give us a minute Mark!" She yelled back.

We looked at each other and laughed, "How many times have you said 'Just five more minutes'?" She shook her head, "Too many for me to remember. You know for our first date, I made us and hour late because I couldn't find the right outfit! And then when we finally got to the show we didn't realise how late it was and we walked in at the last five minutes! He made sure since then that he came forty minutes early so then I would get ready quicker."

We laughed and I went back into the closet to get her some black heels. "Oh no, I haven't worn those in so long." I looked at her, "Then you should be wearing them now! Come on mom, have some fun tonight. Please?"

"Fine." She held her hand out for the heels and soon we made our way downstairs. Dad was waiting at the bottom of the stairs, he looked up from fixing his sleeves and his mouth dropped. "Y-you look..." He stammered to find the right words, "Sexy? Beautiful? Pretty? Come on dad, use your words big boy."

Dad shot me a quick look, "Yeah, you look amazing baby." He held his hand out for her and she took it, "Don't be flattering yourself bud, it ain't gonna get you anything special tonight."

I gagged at them as dad gave her a seductive wink, "Leave before I die." I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a soda out of the fridge, "Hey Emmy, can you please make sure that little man gets down to bed?"

I shouted a quick yes as I dragged my school work to the living room where my slave Netflix was waiting for the command to play The 100. (Only on Season 2...waiting for season 3 on Netflix so don't you dare spoil it)

"Bye Amelia love you!" Came from Mom and Dad as they headed out the door after giving Noah hugs and kisses, "You be good for your sister now, okay?" I heard the front door shut and Noah came into the living room.

He patted his stomach and smiled, nodding his head. That was his signal that he was hungry, "Do you want spaghetti tonight bud?" His eyes lit up happily as he jumped up and down.

I pushed myself off of the couch and padded my way to the kitchen. I went over to the sink and looked out the window to see the sun just barely starting to set across the field.

There was something wrong though, something about the picture of a beautiful evening. Don't get me wrong, a beautiful evening is just what I need, but I got a gut feeling that something is wrong.

I filled up a large pot of water and set it on the stove to boil. "Noah honey, can you get me the box of pasta?" He ran over to the pantry and grabbed the box of spaghetti noodles.