|PROLOGUE|

Danny's rubber boots squeaked every time she would make a sharp turn. Running down the halls of the ark, Danny pushed through the pain in her chest, occasionally looking back at the guard's with batons in their hands. She had tried getting to Bellamy's family, to let them know about the pod that her father used all of their rations to fix. But when she went to his place, no one was there, not even Octavia. Danny was about to go into the Unity Day dance, but when the solar flare alert sprang all of the guards into action, she got scared. She didn't know where Bellamy was, or his mother, so she ran. She ran as fast as she could and as far as she could, getting the attention of two guards; the same guards that were chasing her right now. Danny ran fast re, pushing herself almost to the point of tripping, but on the last turn, she saw the metal door, and her fathers face poking through the window. He opened the door and let her in, quickly shutting it and barring it with a piece of scrap metal.

"I couldn't find them" She breathed heavily, hands on her knees, not even paying attention to her surrounding, her eyes fixed on the guards banging on the windows.

"We wasted enough time, Aurora wouldn't have risked this anyways" Her dad said, pulling the lever and opening the small dropship of 10 seats, "We have to go now" He motioned for the two fifteen year old boys to take their seats. Danny's brothers nodded, their hearts beating out of their chest for almost losing their big sister. Danny hesitated, looking at the piece of metal that was almost bent enough for them to make it in.

"I can't leave him, dad" Danny shook her head, sadness clouding her features

"We have to go Danny, they still have a chance, they haven't been found out yet" He grabbed her wrist and pulled her harshly, "We protect our own first, Daniella" Danny struggled against his grasp,"If we don't go now, you, me and your mother will be floated" He said, and realization dawned on her face. She was over the age of 18, and if she didn't go now, her brothers would have to live with the fact that their whole family was dead. Danny held back the tears in her eyes, snapping out of her trance and sprung into action. She jumped into the seat in front of her brothers and buckled herself. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, trying to hope for the best. Her brothers, Michael and Joey, looked at her with sadness and guilt, guilt that they felt because she had to leave the one person who understood her, and guilt that they had to leave Octavia, the person who understood them. Her father climbed into the seat next to her.

"Dropship doors now closing" A voice said from the speakers as her mother pulled the lever from the inside, "Ejection will commence in 5..." Her father took her hand into her own, grasping it tightly. Her whole family did this, taking comfort in eachother's presence, "4..." Danny tried to get the images of Bellamy out of her head, but failed to do so, which resulted in a single tear falling from her brown eyes, "3..." The guards had given up on opening the door, realizing their was no way to stop a dropship already ejecting, "2..." Everyone's hearts froze, when it hit them what they were just about to do. Earth had been toxic for 95 years, and it was believed to be uninhabitable. But when Danny's father heard stories about people who committed suicide by ejecting themselves off the ark in a pod, he immediately used all of their rations to make an escape plan, "1..." Danny's breathing hitched as the pod shook violently, until it finally rested. There was no noise the next few seconds, Danny tried to keep her eyes off of the drawing that Octavia put on her hand with permanent marker three days ago. But her eyes kept drifting down to the horse drawn in purple, her guilt swallowing her whole. The ship started shaking violently once more, but no one reacted. If they didn't die from the landing, they would most likely die from Earth.

"In peace" Her father croaked out, tightening his grasp on his daughter's hand, "May you leave the shore" He looked around at the family he fought to protect, the family he protected for 15 years, ever since the twins were born, he started crying. Tears escaped his eyes, he didn't sob, but he couldn't continue

"In love, may you find the next" Danny said, tears filling her eyes at the thought of Bellamy, Octavia and Aurora, "Safe passage on your travels" she said to her family, blinking the tears away, "Until our final journey to the ground" They all held hands, knowing they had no idea what was waiting for them in the ground, but also knowing they could handle it as long as they were together, "May we meet again" They all looked up to the ceiling, saying goodbye to their friends on the ark.