4. Cornucopia Run

Callie, Nicole, Blossom, Jay, Minho, and Billy were the first to go. They all died at around the same time, it was hectic. No one knew who went first. But Edin, Angel, and Aspen all shouted Billy's name as the cannon went off. 

Everyone was running all over the place, picking up what backpacks they could find; Aspen found a bow and arrow, so did Jace, who ran off with Joey. Aspen found herself sprinting, nearly stumbling through the woods, and tripped on a tree root. She started cursing.

"Aspen!" She heard a frantic whisper from above. 

"Wha -? Angel?!" 

"Get up here!" 

Aspen hurled the bow and arrow over her shoulder (which is to say she hung them over her shoulder, she didn't literally hurl them behind her) and scrambled up the tree to Angel. 

. . . 

Ashton was walking through the frozen wasteland, the side of the Arena no one else appeared to run to. I mean, Ashton didn't sprint into a freezing hell on purpose, but he was in a freezing hell. And this was the Hunger Games. So once he saw that another boy, Chris, was wandering around a snowy hill in front of him, he got ready - and speared him. Bang. 

. . . 

After a few minutes, Edin had joined Aspen and Angel up in the tree. Sam had stopped running and was hiding in the bushes near their tree. Edin, Aspen, and Angel all agreed they heard something. Tears ran down Sam's cheeks but he kept still. 

"One..." He heard them say together, "Two...three!" 

Before he knew it, he was getting stabbed in the chest with a dagger. 

Bang.

. . . 

Ashton took Chris' jacket off, folded it into a nice square, and laid his head down. 

But he woke right up again when he found Jace and Joey staring at him. 

"Hey, buddy!" Jace smiled at him, "I am so glad we found you!"  

Ashton sighed with relief. "Oh, thank goodness," He smiled, "What...now? What now?" 

. . . 

Angel, Aspen and Edin had scampered back up into the tree. 

. . . 

Violet was sprinting through the forest, yelling Aspen's name.

. . . 

Edin's eyes were darting around. "I swear," He said, "I think I heard something!"  

"Where's Violet?" Aspen repeated, over and over. 

Angel was silent, sitting on a branch, thinking.

. . .

Violet tripped on a branch.

The same branch that Aspen tripped on.

. . .

"Violet!" Angel shouted out, looking down.

"Aspen! Angel! Edin! Edin!"

"Violet!" Edin cried out.

"Violet!" Aspen was careful to whisper, "Get up here! You'll be safe!"

. . . 

Violet couldn't quite grasp enough branches, so Edin had to help her up.

Edin and Aspen took Violet's arms and hauled her up into the tree. 

. . . 

Night fell soon after.