1

He walked up the stairs towards the stage, smiling to himself. "I can't believe I actually did it," he thought. Blinking several times and looking down at his gown, he took a few more steps before reaching the podium. Extending his hand, it met another. He shook it, nodded his head, and smiled out to the crowd as they applauded. A brown leather type booklet cover was put into his hands and when going back to his seat, he never took his eyes off the cover that said, "West Abbey High School". Not once. Exhaling a sigh of relief and gratitude, he slowly turned the cover and read.

"West Abbey High School
Charleston, South Carolina
This certifies that John Laurens has completed the course of study as prescribed for graduation by the board of education and the county schools and on recommendations of the faculty is awarded this diploma given this third day of June twenty hundred and sixteen."

Over and over he read this. He thought to himself, "I, John Laurens, have graduated. I did it. I actually did. I graduated. Me!"

John squeezed the leather booklet to his chest graciously; happy to move on. The graduation ceremony was only half way through, but John didn't mind - it was always interesting to see who graduated with certain endorsements and likewise with honors.

After another forty five minutes, as the ceremony concluded, John and his peers threw their caps in the air, whooping and hollering out of joy, satisfaction, and pride. The flood of purple gowns began shifting towards the exit as some had already retrieved their caps. Placing his own hat back on his head, someone tapped John's shoulder. Quickly turning around, he saw his friend Anglelica.

Angelica was beautiful. Her dark features including her skin, eyes, and hair, complimented each other so perfectly. She had broad lips and corkscrews for hair, in which she had a small ponytail to keep the hair out of her eyes while the ponytail draped over the rest of her hair which she let down. She was a little taller than John, without heels, but that never bothered John so much. Angelica was the oldest of the three Schuyler sisters, with Eliza being the second, and Peggy being the last.

Angelica and her sisters were constantly bombarded by desperate boys, wanting them for their father's money. The three sisters never bothered with the boys, politely declining any offers that were made to them.

"So, John, ready for college?" Angelica excitedly questioned.

"Not as ready as you are, I think." John stifled a laugh and said, "But I am excited for you. I can't believe you were valedictorian!"

"Proving all those boys wrong was easy. Women can do anything men can, John," she smiled. "I'm gonna miss you!" She squealed and hugged him tightly.

"I'm sure we can hang out before we go to university though, right?" John said hopefully, drawing back from the hug.

"Actually," Angelica said reluctantly. "I'm afraid we can't."

"Oh," said John. "Why not? Are you really leaving that soon?"

"'fraid so," she responded and shrugged.

"Well," he began. They both stood there awkwardly for awhile, the crowd moving around them. John didn't want to pry on Angelica's personal life and reasons for leaving so soon, but he didn't know what to say.

"I guess this will be goodbye then, huh?" Angelica finally said.

"I guess so."

They hugged again for a few moments longer and finally, Angelica let go. "I have your number, I'll remember to call you and text you. In fact, I'll contact you so much, you'll almost be annoyed!" She was trying to lighten up the solemn mood.