Prologue

"Papa!" I called out, sitting up in my small bed on the ship. It was late in the evening and the crew had already started heading to bed. 

I heard footsteps and my father's charming face came into view, "Yes my darling." 

"I can't sleep Papa." 

"You can't sleep?" he sat down at the foot of my bed and patted my leg, "Well then how about a bedtime story." 

I nodded. 

"I know a story that you would like," he smiled. 

I looked at him excitedly as he began, "There once was a brave young man who was a sea captain that sailed on the Caribbean Seas in his grand ship. He stopped by an island to resupply one day a little bit before noon and he saw a woman lying on the beach. She had long dark hair and fair skin that was turned pink from the morning sun." 

"She was very beautiful," I added, "Wasn't she Papa?" 

He nodded and smiled, "The most beautiful he had ever seen. He took her back to his ship and cared for her until she woke up a few hours later. She had the most brilliant blue eyes, shimmering like sapphires and the same bright blue as the Caribbean Sea- just like you," he smiled at me and I giggled, "He explained to her that he had found her lying on a beach and brought her back to his ship. She told him that her name was Juleta and she was from a place called Spain. She had been on a ship traveling with her brother, Roberto, and their ship was hijacked by pirates." 

"Pirates?!" I squealed. 

"Pirates!" he made a scary face and laughed as I hid underneath my blankets, "They kidnapped her and her brother, recognizing their family crest and wanted to hold them for ransom. On the way they got caught in a storm and she fell from the boat. The seaman, as kind as he was, promised to take her back home." 

"Did they make it Papa?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer. 

"Yes they did darling. Along the way, they faced many obstacles, conquered many foes and fell in love. When they finally made it back to Julieta's home, her father thanked him greatly but saw that his daughter had fallen in love with a sailor, he refused to give his blessing. He wanted his little girl to stay close to home where he could keep an eye on her. However, he died a month later so it didn't really matter anyway." 

I giggled and he winked at me. 

"They were married on his boat and they sailed off to start their new life together. The end," he finished. 

"That's you and Mama's story." 

"It sure is Princess," he replied, and he pulled my quilt up to my chin and kissed me on the forehead, "Now it's time for you to go to sleep." 

I yawned and rubbed my eyes sleepily, "Good night Papa." 

"Good night sweetheart."

I had just begun to drift off when I heard it.

Boom.

It was the sound of cannon fire in the distance.

CRASH!!

I jumped up, wide awake. My father wasn't there anymore, he was outside. I jumped up out of my bed and slipped on my boots. I ran outside and saw a massive ship that sparkled and shimmered with some sort of glittering dust. I gasped as I looked down at the ocean beside it and realized that it was floating.

Along the side, I read the name of the vessel: The Jolly Roger.

I stood where I was and shook with absolute horror. It was one of the ships that haunted every sailors' fairytale that I had ever heard.