Chapter 25~ Red-Handed Jill

Vinny's POV

See, this is why Jill shouldn't be in charge. She's freaking insane.

I jumped back up to the helm and wrenched the wheel too the side. The boat lurched to the side and kicked again as another cannon ball blasted another hole in the hull. Lost boys grabbed on to whatever they could, yelling and shouting as they were tossed about. Poor Patt looked about as green as a leaf. We hit another bump and he vomited over the side. Good thing I had my sea legs.

Flying through the air was a lot rougher than I thought it was going to be. Waves of air from across the ocean kept crashing into us, trying to knock us around like the currents in the sea. As rough as it was, the turning radius was better than any sea ship in the world.

"KEEP MOVING FORWARD!" I yelled. The fairies responded and we lurched back into motion. I turned to Jill, "We're flying right into their cannon range. We have to hurry or else they're going to shoot us out of the sky."

Jill nodded and turned to the crew, "EVERYONE! MAKE SURE YOU GET A DOSE OF FAIRY DUST. IF YOU CAN'T FLY FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN CARRY YOU. WE'RE ABANDONING SHIP!"

Fairies darted over the deck, covering everyone with golden dust. The few indians on board with us found a Lost Boy to help carry them.

"Everything is secure," said Peter.

"Start evacuating everyone," Jill replied and then she flagged down Oberon, "We have to start our descent. Take away fairies from the front and work your way back. I need a few of you to stay with us until the last moment to help steer. Can you do that?"

The sparrowman nodded, "I'll assemble the fast-flying fairies. They'll be able to get away if need be."

The boys began hopping off like fleas as the cannon balls kept coming. one blasted right through the mast.

"Look out!" I yelled, as the mast fell down and landed sideways on the ship with enough force to knock us right off course. I wrenched the helm sideways and fought to keep the Pan's Revenge on the right trajectory.

"The ship is too blown apart for me to leave," I said, "I'm going to have to ride her in."

"Then I'll stay with you and pull you out," she said.

"You won't be able to carry me all by yourself," I argued.

"Then I'll help," said Peter, landing beside Jill on the deck.

I nodded and turned my attention back to the helm.

The Lost boys began jumping off the side like fleas, one by one and two by two until Jill and I were the last ones left.

"You ready?" I asked.

Jill and Peter each grabbed one of my arms.

"I'm ready when you are!" She replied.

That's when I gave Oberon the signal and we began to tilt forward. The whole boat kicked as another cannon ball hit the hull. I wrenched the helm to the side to compensate.

"Let's go!" yelled Jill.

"Not yet!" I yelled back, "Just a little bit longer!"

Another cannon ball hit and I wrenched it to the side. The sky ship began rolling through the air, tipping sideways and leaving bits and pieces of ship in our wake. I saw the indians begin to row away from the boat as we loomed at them. We were picking up speed, it took all of my strength just to keep my feet on the bridge as the ocean sped towards us.

"VINCENT!"

"NOW!!" I yelled, and Jill and Peter heaved me up and around a split second before the ship crashed into the prow of Jolly Roger.