Show Me Love

Int.Apartment.bedroom.Day

Dave is a 25 year old Caucasian male, he is about 6'3 with ash brown hair styled into a fohawk and clean trimmed facial hair, and his right arm filled with tattoos. He is walking around his bedroom getting things to put in his duffle bag as he packs. Pete is a 23 year old Hispanic male, he is 5'11 with curly black hair, and has his ears pierced and a compass tattoo on his forearm. As Dave packs, Pete leans on the door frame with his arms crossed.

"All I'm saying is we are about to make three years in this relationship, you've met my family my friends and yet the only person I know in your life is Lil."

"Why can't Lil be enough for you right now." Dave says already tired of this same argument

"Because Dave i want to be part of your whole life not a hidden secret."

"You're not a secret, Lil knows and she's the most important person to me from my family."

"You didn't even tell her! If she would've never unexpectedly dropped by that day I wouldn't even have her on my side."

Dave stops packing and stands in front of the closet pinching the bridge of his nose with his eyes closed, tired of having this conversation every time. After a few seconds he grabs his sweater and turns back to his bag.

"I don't even want to do this damn monthly visit to my parents, don't make this harder than it needs to be please. I'll tell them in time."

"Thats what you said last time. I was blind enough to be your secret for two years but I won't go further if you can't be true to yourself."

Pete walks away from the door and goes into the kitchen and grabs himself a glass of water as Dave walks out of the room with his bag and sweater in hand. He bends down and says goodbye to the dog, then walks to the door as he reaches for the knob he pauses and lets out a sigh.

"I love you, why can't that be the end of this."

Before Pete can respond Dave is out the door.

INT. Manhattan loft. early evening

Wide shot of a family gathered around in the living room. 53 year old Elizabeth McKellen is sitting next to her husband while drinking her after dinner tea, 55 year old Graham McKellen is swishing his brandy in his glass and their children 19 year old Lillian who is sitting opposite of her mother and going through her cell phone as Dave plays with the family dog. They are sitting together having a discussion when the conversation turns away from a general topic, to Dave's love life.

"What about the O'Reilly's girl..what's her name..uh..Genni" Graham takes a puff of his pipe

"No dad, I'm fine really." Dave rubs the bridge of his nose

"No girl is good enough for you."

"I just want to focus on school."

"Life isn't just about work, we just want you to experience it all honey." Elizabeth chimes in

"Its not all about school my boy, I met your mother my second year at Yale." He looks at his wife with admiration

He continues on, "Its time you meet a nice young lady. What are you waiting for."

"I said I'm fine let it go dad." Dave is getting agitated

"Oh it wouldn't hurt darling, how about Jane, the Henderson's girl, she is just lovely."

"Yes she is and she has very large..eyes..yes large eyes" He winks at Dave and laughs

"I will set this..." before Elizabeth can finish her sentence Dave shouts

"Oh god, I can't do this anymore! I'm gay!"

"You are what!" Graham stands up

"Dad..I..I'm gay" he says a little more timid now

"The hell you are, no son of mine is .. I can't even say it." he turns away and faces the fireplace.

"Gay dad gay, say it."

Graham strikes his son as Dave tried to speak again. Graham lifts his hand to hit Dave once more but Elizabeth stops him.

"No Graham! That is enough."

"Get out of my house, get out you have no home here, you have no family here! You are no son of mine." Graham shouts as he throws his glass

EXT. Outside the building. early evening. dave's car

Dave throws his bags into the backseat of his car just as Pete's name flashes on his phone. Annoyed at Pete for pushing his outing, Dave hits ignore and the time flashes on his screen showing its is 7:00 pm. Dave throws his phone on the passenger seat of his car, climbs in and drives to the nearest bar.

INT. Apartment. late midnight. living room

Pete is pacing back and forth on the phone with Lillian Dave's sister. The cable box he continues to pass by flashes the time showing it is 12:55. The house is visibly spotless but Pete is cleaning, wiping down the table and fixing the cushions. Finally he settles on sitting down with a glass of wine not leaving the bottle behind.

"He got back two days ago and wouldn't speak to me at all, he barely looks at me." he waits for her response.

"No, he wouldn't talk about it, I wouldn't know if you didn't tell me. He just comes home drunk, and last night was the worst." he sets the wine glass down

"He came home and just lashed out, said if it wasn't for me and my 'stupid need to be out,' everything would be normal." he listens to Lillian's reply

"Well I kept the obvious hurt feelings at bay, didn't give him the satisfaction of knowing he hurt me. All I said was ... wait I think he's home, I have to go." Pete quickly hangs up as Dave stumbles in clearly intoxicated once again. Dave is startled when he turns around to find Pete still awake and standing in the living room.

"Hey." he slurs

"Hello, .. do you know what time it is?"

"No .. what time .. what time is it?"

"It's 1am...where have you been?"

"Out..walking...walking and...thinking."

"Thinking about what?"

"About what happened.."

"What about it?"

"I..I don't know..goodnight" Dave starts to walk off

"Goodnight?" Pete says with annoyance

"Yea, get off my back."

"Here we go again, I told you change your sudden rude behaviors and move on or I'm gone. This is not my fault so quit blaming me."

"I am sick and tired of your ultimatums, thats what started this in the first place. You want to leave? Fine go, you know where the door is."

"Don't tempt me Dave!"

"Go, go on get out, you'll be back like always. Quit the dramatics."

"Why are you purposely trying to hurt me?" Pete tries to hold back his tears

"So maybe you'll get the hint and go..maybe this was a phase...you're a phase." he spits out his words with so much anger.

Dave walks into the bedroom and closes the door. Pete is now left standing alone contemplating his next move, either walk in the room, tell Dave off and fix the relationship, or just walk away and leave everything he has come to know and love behind.