Best of You

I covered every inch of the walls with picture frames and Ashton was still staring at me. Maybe he isn't really staring at me I thought maybe he's just staring in my general direction and I think he's staring at me. I decided to shift my gaze over to the floor when I made the terrible mistake of making eye contact with him. We stared at each other for maybe an entire minute before I began to feel the heat rise in my cheeks. I gasped and looked at the floor shyly, "S-sorry, I didn't mean to stare." Damn stuttering.

"It's alright, love," Ashton giggled. Ugh what a cutie. "Come here." He said, his voice suddenly getting low and demanding. I could feel myself shake with nervousness but took in a deep breath to calm myself down. I moved my hair out of my face as I shuffled over to the seat next to him on the couch and sat down. Ashton turned to face me, propped his elbow on the back of the couch and rested his head in his hands.

"Let's get to know each other eh, (y/n)?" he smiled warmly, once again showing those cute-ass dimples of his. Every bit of nervousness left me and flowed off somewhere like smoke to a campfire. I felt at home with Ashton. It was like speaking to my own father, safe and comfortable.

"Well, my full name is (y/full/n), I'm 16 years old, I came from New York, and I like baking, writing, singing and Tumblr-ing." He chuckled softly at my made-up word as Calum did before.

"You can sing?" he asked. I nodded in response.

"Well, let's hear it!" Uh oh. I felt that familiar feeling from before rise within me and I felt my palms get sweaty.

"Don't do that mate, she might pass out." I heard someone say. I turned around to see Michael standing in the middle of the room with two slices of pizza. I sighed in relief, thank god. Calum and Luke followed shortly with slices of pizza as well.

"I would like to hear (y/n) sing." Calum stated.

"Yeah me too!" Luke said with a mouthful of pizza. The anxiety returned and I felt tears fog my vision as I stared at my lap. There were only 4 people watching but it felt like 4,000. Before a tear could slip out, Michael knelt in front of me and placed a single hand on my knee.

"If you don't mess up alone, then you won't mess up in front of people." He said with a comforting smile. The tear slipped and rolled down my cheek slowly. I sniffled and wiped it away as I began to see the looks of concern on the other three's faces. I felt the couch sink as Luke sat next to me and stroked my arm, giving me goosebumps.

"I'll sing with you, (y/n), if you'd like." He said gently. Michael and Ashton jumped with a 'lightbulb' look on their faces.

"I'll grab my guitar!"

"I'll fetch my drum!" They both ran out excitedly and Calum sat, legs crisscrossed, on the floor.

"Guess I'll be your audience." He chuckled. Michael and Ashton ran back in, Michael with an acoustic guitar and Ashton with a Cajon. Ashton sat on the Cajon next to Calum and Michael perched himself next to me.

"What song?" Michael asked. We sat in silence for a couple minutes before I snapped.

"Best of You?" I suggested shyly. The trio seemed to perk up at this.

"Foo Fighters?" Luke chirped. I nodded and smiled, feeling slightly less nervous but still nervous nonetheless. I closed my eyes and we took a deep breath before singing in unison, Michael and Ashton strumming and drumming along with us:

I've got another confession to make

I'm your fool

Everyone's got their chains to break