Chapter 25

"Pants my Queen? Wouldn't the Alphas of the land feel disrespected," Lady Aurora asks me innocently. She's sort of become my shadow since she's joined court, and she's being taught by Solomon and a governess about our history, her gift and the position she holds in court. She's quite the little historian these days.

"Not in the slightest. The Alphas hold the queen to a high standard, but as times modernize so do the traditions. Pants at the region meeting are okay for me now," I explain to her making her blush with embarrassment.

"You look very pretty," she says bowing her head. I smile thankfully at her as I put on my jewelry.

Every month we hold a region meeting. All the Alphas of our kingdom come here the first weekend of every month and discuss new clauses, barriers, and anything else you can think of that is needed so that everyone is kept happy and packs continues flourishing under mine and Derek's rule. This particular region meeting is of great importance though. It's been a week since Derek and I have partially found out what is coming our way. While the teeth and claw of darkness slithers on the outskirts preparing for another ambush, Derek and I have called in the Alphas to keep everything outside the castle grounds in order. Their territory is theirs alone. Whatever happens on it is just something Derek and I will have to deal with. I've never been one to seek out violence as a form of justification, but ever since Derek and I have fully mated, I can't help but feel as if he and I share his dark nature now. It's scary at times, but I feel as if it is why I have become so quick to seek out Novena's thirst for justice by blood. A panicked Grandma Kenna walks into my room and I stiffen a little.

"It's the little one. He's set the room on fire," she breathes out and I immediately run to Noah's room. Fire? So soon? Derek is already there calming a fussy Noah when I arrive. The smell of smoke lingers in the air as the crisp holes in the wall begin to decay with ash.

"What happened," I ask a slightly frazzled Derek. His dark curls are a tousled mess and he looks as if he's seen a fucking ghost. I'd laugh honestly, but that would be wrong.

"His powers are beginning to show sooner than we expected. He started fussing and random places on the walls just caught on fire," he explains and I relax a little. Grandma Kenna, Robin, and my mother walk into Noah's room slightly panicked.

"Take him to Solomon. I need him to read Noah. Seems like this little guy is full of surprises today," I smile taking Noah from Derek. I place a soft kiss on his cheek as my rocking lulls him to sleep. We knew Noah would be a deumaul because of the blood of Essence. Whether he will possess two or three powers is solely up to what Mother has planned for him, and only Solomon will be able to tell.

***

Something about him seems off. We've been in this region meeting for over an hour discussing everything that is needed from the Alphas and what's needed from us. Alpha Yelverton hasn't said a word and it's throwing me off. He's the most boisterous alpha that I've come into contact with – hell Derek almost attacked because he was too forward. For him to not say a word about the plans for war is unsettling. He knows something. Novena states causing me to rise from my seat. The wheels in my head turn as everything falls into it's assuming place. It's almost as if the puzzles are finally coming together. I feel eyes on me and turn to find every pair at my attention as well as silence.

"Alpha Yelverton you have been all too quiet this afternoon. Surely you have some input on the matters at hand," I say calmly. A hint of fear comes from his direction, but nobody would smell it. He masks it pretty well with his arrogant attitude. He's hiding something Derek. I say through our mind-link causing Derek to stiffen slightly. Any outsider would think he's just being himself, but I know Derek very well. He's preparing to attack if necessary. It's a chilling quality about him and I feel my inner loins clench slightly. Who knew blood thirst could be so... arousing?