Interpretation

I wait in my car, not daring to step out the vehicle. It's not the way it use to be. I won't ring her door bell and be greeted by her dad.

I'll wait here for her until she comes in. She'll welcome herself by opening her own door and putting her seatbelt on.

There she is now. Still looking beautiful as ever, but not giving me a rush of sparks.

"Hi, Shawn." She says softly and leans over the middle armrest to kiss my cheek. It almost feels like nothing but a pair of lips to my skin. "Oh hey, Kristen."

"How was your day so far, baby?" She asks me with a hopeful tone. "Good. Good. You?" I take a quick glance and she has a semi smile. "It's fine. Thanks."

She welcomely turns up the volume of my car radio. I hear her giggle a little before the song becomes audible. "This use to be our song. The first dance we had together, junior year."

"Yeah. I remember." I say, not really touching up on the topic. "When you were prom prince and I was princess. Think we'll be king and queen this year?"

I nod. Still, not wanting to bring anything up. I just don't have that same feeling. I know she doesn't either. But we don't fight. We really don't bring it up but I'm exhausted.

I lower the music and it stops her humming. "Shawn, what's up? It's my favorite song." She playfully whines.

"I know it's going to hurt but, I'll go first." I begin to say, rolling up the windows. "We talk, but I'm running out of things to say."

"Yes, Shawn. That's true. We can work on it. Really think we can't fix what's broken?" Kristen tells me, her hand reaching out for mine that was resting in the cup holder.

I stop at the red light and look at her. "It might be easier to stay but it'll never be the same. If something doesn't change, we'll keep sinking further."

We still continued our date. Silently. But, overall... That's how I left it.

Without these feelings, no ideas or way of expressing it, I won't keep saying those three empty words.

0322