Chapter 6, part 1

"Try focusing inward," said Jack.

"How do I do that?" I sat in the training room with my eyes shut. When Jack had asked me to close them I'd thought he was going to frighten me in some way, but he hadn't.

"Try to imagine your insides," he said.

I pulled a face. "Do I have to?"

"Not your innards, but the flow of energy. Your essence, if you like." He must have been circling my chair because his voice sounded like it was surrounding me. I felt completely immersed in its rich honey-thick tones. "Can you feel it, Violet? The flow of heat beneath your skin, the quiet thump of warm blood through your veins."

My breath came in short bursts, and I had to fight for every one. I could only manage a nod, but I couldn't explain that what I felt was perhaps as a result of his close proximity and the lilt of his voice. Heat did indeed swell inside me.

I opened my eyes and stood up, almost bumping into him. He managed to back away just in time.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

I put a hand to my forehead. "I'm tired. This has been an exhausting day and I didn't—" I was about to tell him I hadn't slept well, but I didn't want to plant the suspicion that I'd overheard his conversation with Tommy. "I didn't think we'd be training all morning."

"Would you prefer to sit and embroider with Sylvia?"

"Actually, I would. Perhaps we can resume later?"

He frowned. "Are you sure you're all right? You do look tired."

"I'm fine," I said brightly. "But all this anatomical talk is quite overwhelming. My poor head can't cope."

His gaze narrowed. "You seemed to comprehend it well enough. Did you have a tutor?"

"Four. They each came regularly, but never at the same time."

"I saw them. I'd assumed they were there to teach your sister."

"Perhaps they did. I don't know. It was Mr. Upworth who taught us about biology of plants and animals. Humans weren't included in our education, thankfully."

"The basic structure is the same between many animals and humans."

"Oh?"

"Don't look so horrified. I haven't cut up dead bodies to discover that fact. Like you, I had tutors. And books."

"The only books I've seen are in your uncle's rooms."

"And those are the ones I read. He's generous when it comes to their use. He says knowledge is the only way for a man to rise above the class in which he was born. You should ask to borrow something when you get bored with embroidery."

"No thank you. I think it's best that I avoid Mr. Langley for a while."

"He won't be mad at you anymore. Trust me, he's quick to anger and just as quick to forgive, although perhaps not forget. Not entirely," he muttered.

"I thought you didn't like him."

"We have our differences, but he's been...generous to me. And to Sylvia."

"So he should be. He is your uncle." I was fishing for more information about their relationship, but if he detected it, he didn't give any indication. "Why don't you call him Uncle August like Sylvia does?"

"It's what we both prefer. So you're back to being suspicious again, are you?"

"No!"

"Then why all the questions? I thought you got them out of your system yesterday."