Ch.21-The Apple Never Falls Far from the Tree

"Do you need help?"

I rolled my eyes at Sam's eagerness. "Sam, I'm pregnant, not handicapped."

He worried his lower lip. "But can't you like-you know-hurt the baby?"

I gave him a flat look. "If I was mountain climbing, maybe. Getting out of the car, however, seems a bit unlikely."

He sagged back against the driver's seat. "Sorry, I've never done this before. I just want everything to be perfect, you know?"

I smiled. "I know." I leaned across the console and kissed him quickly. "The doctor said I'm only about eight or nine weeks along, anyway. I'm not even showing yet."

His gaze flickered down to my stomach. "Yeah, okay."

We were at the diner with a scheduled meeting to talk with Cher, planning to drop the news and-fingers crossed-hope she took it well.

We both slid out of his car, Sam wrapping an arm around my waist as we walked into the restaurant. It wasn't that busy for late afternoon. Cher was easy to spot in her sparkly denim jacket and bright pink designer handbag. Sam muttered something under his breath about the outfit.

"Hi, Cher."

The woman in question glanced up at us away from the screen of her phone, a wide smile widening her lips. "Hey, guys!"

Sam slid into the both, pulling me down with him. I kept his hand in my lap, gripping it tightly with both of mine. "So, you're probably wondering why we called you here," I began.

She shrugged. "Did you have another tiff?"

I bit my lip. "Not exactly."

"Then what?"

I took a deep breath. Sam squeezed my hand in support. "I'm pregnant," I said to her. "About nine weeks along."

Her jaw unhinged, and for the next few moments she just whipped her head back and forth between us. I waited patiently for her to respond, not sure how it would happen. But when her eyes lit up and she let loose a squeal, I knew at least she was okay with it.

"Holy crap! My step-bro is going to be a daddy? This is so awesome! Hold on-that means I'm an aunt! Oh fucking yes! Someone else I can shop for!"

"I think she's excited," Sam whispered in my ear, and I bit my lip.

"I think so, too."

Cher reached over and patted Sam on the shoulder. "I knew you had it in you, bro. Way to knock a girl up."

I blushed and Sam groaned. "Honestly, Cher, your way with words is just so amazing."

"This is awesome!" she continued, completely ignoring Sam's sarcasm. She grabbed my free hand and clutched it tightly. "You're going to be a mother, Elsie."

Beneath the table Sam released one hand to cover my stomach with it. I smiled. "I know," I whispered.

"How do you feel about that?"

I turned to look at Sam, finding he was already staring at me. This close I could see the love and the excitement, the nervousness and the determination shining out of his eyes. I propped my head on his shoulder. "Strangely, I'm feeling really good about it."

"I bet. You seem like you would be a great mother."

Her words hit home, lifting me up. "You seem like you would be a great mother."

Maybe I really could do this after all.

"So what are you guys going to do? Have you bought anything yet?"