2

"I ran away," I said into his shoulder still crying.

"Hey, shhhh. It's okay." He said quietly.

"But Merle said not to run away from my problems. To face them and not be a coward." I said through a sob.

"The hell with what Merle said. He never faced dad, never." Daryl said angrily.

"He's gone, isn't he?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah," Daryl sighed.

I nodded my head and continued to cry.

After having to wipe my tears away multiple times Daryl grabbed my hand and walked with me to another room.

"Here, take a shower. Once you're done I'll show you around and introduce you to everybody." My older brother told me.

I nodded and went into the bathroom and shut the door behind me.

I looked in the mirror and saw the cut on my face from where I hit the ground when I passed out. I looked down at my leg and saw the burn my father had given me.

I shook my head clearing my thoughts and turned on the water. I stripped out of my clothes and stood under the running water.

I sighed as the cool water ran over my beaten body.

I heard the door to the bathroom open and someone moving around.

"Hello?" I asked meekly.

"Just me," said Carol. "I brought you your backpack and some clean clothes."

I heard the door close again and finished my shower.

I wrapped a towel around my body and stepped out of the bathtub.

Carol had laid out a light purple tank top and black jeans. I smiled, no one had ever laid out clothes for me to wear.

I finished drying off and put on the clothes. I grabbed the brush out of my backpack and combed out my tangled hair.

When I opened the door I saw Daryl waiting for me across the hall.

"You ready to meet everyone?" He asked.

He walked over to me held on to my hand then led our way downstairs.

Daryl led us to the kitchen where a small group was gathered.

They all stared at us and I hid behind my brother like a little kid.

"I'm Rick." Said the man I had heard talking earlier. He walked towards me holding out his hand.

I stayed behind my brother not answering.

"She uh, she doesn't talk to men." Daryl told the group. "Past issues."

Rick looked at me then nodded.

Daryl pulled me to the side of his body and wrapped an arm around me.

He started pointing at people, naming them off. "That's Rick, Glenn, Maggie, Michonne, Sasha, the baby's Judith, and that's Carl."

I looked around at the people then at the floor.

"Come on, let's eat." Carol said walking in from the dinning room.

I followed Daryl and sat down next to him. The girl who's name was Maggie took a seat by me and Glenn sat next to her.

As the plates of food were passed around Daryl put food on my plate before his own, just like he did when we were younger.

"So how old are you?" Michonne asked from across the table.