Chapter 24

"Does it hurt?" I hear one of the cheerleaders say to Liam as she puts her hand on his shoulder. I just roll my eyes and continue getting what I need from my locker.

"You're staring." Natalie says next to me.

"I can't stare?" I say back without emotion.

"Not like that you can't. You look like you're ready to pounce on her."

"Was not!"

"Woah. What's going on girls?" I hear Ethan say as he walks towards us.

"Hailey is jealous." Natalie teases.

"Ah. I see." Ethan says wiggling his eyebrows.

"Get a life you two." I huff.

"Ouch. That hurt right here." Ethan says putting his hand over his heart. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Liam! Liam!" I hear another girl go up towards Liam.

"It's just a sprain!" I say out loud, but not too loud for everyone to hear me. I slam my locker and look back towards Liam.

"Chill Hales. You know Liam only has eyes for you." Natalie says trying to calm me down.

"Yeah and you're going to the fair with him right?" Ethan asks.

"Yep." I say back.

Just then everyone in the hall stops talking. I look towards where everyone is staring and I see Carter enter. Not just Carter but Carter and Laura holding hands. Carter grins big as Laura blushes. They walk proudly towards Liam and as Carter walk passes me he winks. I giggle and watch as the girls eye Laura like she just stole their candy. I decide to walk towards the crowd with Natalie and Ethan following behind me.

"Hey guys." I say to the crowd. Everyone ignores me other than Liam, Carter, and Laura.

"Hey." The three of them say.

I look at Liam and he smirks at me. Causing my stomach to flip.

"You're Hailey right?" A cheerleader, Lindsey, says.

"Yeah. You're Lindsey right?" I say back nicely.

"Yeah. You're the girl whose best friend died right?" She asks causing my heart to stop.

"Y-yeah. That's me." I stutter.

"Ah well, I'll head to class then. See you around Liam." She smiles and heads down the hall. What the hell was that all about?

As soon as Lindsey left the rest of the girls followed her and left.

"That was intense." Laura says.

"No kidding babe." Carter says.

"Did you see everyone giving me the stink eye? Can anyone say jealous much?" Laura says sarcastically. I'm glad those stares didn't bother her.

"There're just jealous because you are an amazing girl." Carter says giving her a sideways hug.

"How cute." I hear Natalie squeal causing everyone to laugh and Carter to blush.

"It's cute to see you blush Carter." I say and Carter gives me an evil stare. I chuckle.

"Can I talk to you?" Liam says interrupting Carter's stare.

"Um, sure." I say and walk with him away from the group.

"What's up?" I ask Liam as once we are by ourselves in the hallway.

"Just wanted a breather." Liam says and I nod.

"Does it hurt?" I say in a sweet and seductive voice like Lindsey and rub my hand over his arm.