Chapter Two

After reading her a story and singing three songs, Molly finally had Sara asleep. All the frustration Molly had felt throughout the day evaporated as she'd looked down on Sara's sleeping face. Innocent and trusting. With her blonde curls and long eyelashes, she looked like a slumbering angel. Kim had been raising this little spitfire all on her own, and Molly had a new appreciation for the courage and commitment it took to be a parent. Not to mention a single one.

The hall was quiet, and she assumed Jason had gone as she quietly descended the stairs. He didn't even wait to say goodbye, she thought, feeling a little let down and a little relieved at the same time. It was probably just as well. Seeing him was hard enough. It brought back all the memories of their breakup, and worse, the memories of when times had been good. And it had been good—for a long time. But that was over. It would be better for everyone if they tried to keep out of each other's way over the next few weeks.

Wandering to the kitchen, she sighed. Having kids required sacrifices. Sacrifices she was positive she wasn't ready to make. In that she was sure she'd made the right choice. She had too many things to do before she thought about having children of her own. She remembered the way Jason had kissed Sara's head as he'd given her milk that afternoon. No, she was where she wanted to be. No matter how the sight of Jason and Sara together twisted her insides.

She was in the middle of pouring water into the electric kettle when Jason spoke behind her.

"You making tea?"

She spun, splashing water on the counter. "I thought you'd gone."

"I probably should have."

Her body shook, not from the surprise but because he was here, in the flesh, and she'd been thinking about him. His posture was relaxed, but everything about him made her pay attention. Right now it was the dimple crawling up his cheek that distracted her.

Molly turned back and shut off the tap. "I'm extremely tired," she explained stiffly. "Sara only slept half an hour today and I didn't sleep very well stranded at the airport last night."

"You actually slept in the airport?"

"We were only delayed, not cancelled. Except the delay ended up being most of the night. I didn't take the hotel voucher. I was afraid I'd miss the next flight and I wanted to get here as soon as I could." She plugged in the kettle and searched for a mug and the tea bags, deliberately taking out only one. "Whatever you stayed to say, I'd rather get into it another time."

She dropped the tea bag into a mug and faced him. He was staring at her steadily, his expression unreadable.

"What are you thinking?" The words came out slightly breathless, and she grimaced inwardly.

"I'm thinking about how beautiful you still are. I can't believe I'd forgotten." He shoved his hands in his pockets and leaned against the doorway to the kitchen.

Her heart beat erratically as a memory slid in, unwanted. Their first kiss, on prom night. They'd been slow dancing, and he'd curled a hand around her neck and whispered, "You are so beautiful." Even then, at the innocent age of seventeen, the smoothness of his voice had been able to raise all the fine hairs on her body. When he'd leaned in to touch his lips to hers, meeting them had been the most natural thing in the world.

She stiffened, defending herself against memories. "It's been six years, Jason. I'm here for exactly three weeks. That's all."

"So I hear. Why did you agree to come exactly, Molly?"

She unplugged the kettle as it began to scream. "Because Kim asked me. Because she's my only sister and she needs me."

"Molly to the rescue, is that it?"