Chapter 30

Her eyes snapped open, cold hands clammy as they gripped the floor around her, body numb from the damp chill that filtered through the stone. Her whole being felt foreign, as if it didn't belong to her, and the dull ache that came from sleeping on the floor felt as though it had subsided from bruises cut deep into her skin, fragments of stone still lodged in her veins. 

She screamed. Around her, the bodies strewn across the room leapt from their corners in a start, tired eyes darting about the room for the danger that had induced such a sound, murmuring to each other breathlessly of what it could have been. These eyes fell onto her, looking to see what was the matter, hard and cold- pure self interest was at the heart of their stares, the attention they gave, and nothing more. They'd no comfort to give, no sympathy: they only wished to know whether they would soon see whatever danger was apparently present and if it would come for them. What was the raven to them?

Perhaps Asta may have clamped her mouth shut if she'd have realised, scared to receive any more acts of hatred upon these people's part, but she did not- she could not- and it was all she could do to try and block out Maja's words.

Maja. She thought, bitterly. She had been so convinced, so sure that Maja had liked her that day in the woods but, like all the people she'd known, her supposed sister had turned on her, accusing her of murdering their people. Tears streaming down her face, Asta realised that she was clueless to who their people actually were, as if this was knowledge she had known once but forgotten. It distressed her- if she had done as Maja said she had, then surely she should remember. How could she forget?

Yet, her stern mind reminded her that it had been merely a dream and the knowledge she'd forgotten was likely nothing. Ha- even her mind enjoyed playing tricks on herself, creating delusions powerful enough to throw her into an asylum, crafting dreams so vivid that she woke crying, as if she'd been stoned to death. Just whose side was it on? 

She could barely move, afraid that her bones would shatter as they had in the meadow, the pain still running livid through her blood. With every blink she returned to where she had lain amongst the dewy grass, strangers so familiar surrounding her. Everything once peaceful turned ugly in a single, broken second, and with this every blink she could feel the fear twisting in her heart, turning her stomach.

She could hear people demanding what she'd seen, why she was screaming, but the voice that rose all the louder belonged to Maja, the stony fury written through its every pitch and tone. Why was it that she seemed so talented at earning everyone's hate?

"It's nothin'." Somebody declared, glaring at Asta who sat shaking violently, oblivious to everyone around her. "She just wants to rob us of sleep."

"How do you know?" Another whispered nervously, glancing over their shoulder to check that nobody lurked behind, dagger concealed beneath the cuff of their sleeve.

"Well, do you see anyone? Besides, nobody kills commoners like us. Not in the dead of night, anyway."

A chorus of muttering fell over the room, the servants all sending the crying girl dirty looks as they stood in the chill of the night. There was no point sleeping now, not when they'd have to rise again in a matter of a few hours. No. They would just have to ready early, function on a measly amount of sleep until they could go to their King and complain of Asta's cruel trick. He would listen, they knew. With knowing smiles, they readied themselves for the working day. Eirik, their just and kindly ruler, would see to it that Asta never made another sound again.

The sun did indeed rise a few hours later and each servant pulled their hair back into a hasty bun, careful to cover their tired, drawn out eyes with a dulled strand, heavy with dust and ash. Asta was among them, blind to the smug glances they handed her, and trailed down the stairs in confusion as they let her past with a smile. Why, they even opened the door for her.