One.

-------------------------------------------

"You learn not because you have to. But because it is who you are."

---------------------------------------------

        The riveting sights of creeping shadows in every corner I turn to, the piercing sound of my name being screamed blaring in my ears, the chills rippling throughout my body, the distinction between me and the average person scares me almost six feet under.

***      

         Someone began to knock on my bedroom window, making me jump. It didn't take long to realize who knocked, so I peeled back one of the shades to reveal the one and only, Kev, standing there with a perfectly innocent look on his face.

        "Hey there, my beautiful best friend!" Kevynn smiled, the golden flecks in his hazel eyes sparkling as he leaned up against the window frame.

        "Hello, idiot," I said to cover up the debate in my mind over whether he actually thought I was beautiful or if he was just trying to make me feel good.

        "See, I told you, you're the cause for us being late to school all of the time." he waved his hand at my unmade bed.

        "Get up, you are so lazy!" he mocked with a smile.

        "Yeah, yeah, come to the front door and I'll let you in."

        "Or, I could just climb through the window, and give your mom a heart attack with all of the ruckus."

***

        Once I let him in, he plopped down onto the couch and closed his eyes.

        "Wake me when you're done," Kev added.

        I rolled my eyes. Who's lazy now, I thought, annoyed.

        I walked across the house to my bedroom, where I grabbed an outfit from my closet. I pulled the outfit over my petite body before brushing my teeth and then hair, which tangled in the brush. I inherited thick hair from my mother, who I resembled almost perfectly. I then looked into my pocket mirror to reveal my face, spotted with pimples here and there.

        I briefly pondered how others saw me. Pretty? Hideous? Kev said I was beautiful, but he was my best friend... he was supposed to be kind and say those kind of things... right?

        I threw my backpack around my shoulders, grabbed my cell phone, and headed to where Kev was laying. Once I reached the living room, I started to hear the sound of Kev snoring. I shook him, but he continued to snore.

        "Wake up!" I shouted.

        "All right, all right, I'm up! Let's go," Kev exclaimed as he woke, rubbing his eyes and fixing his long hair, which was tousled. He threw his backpack over his broad shoulders, as we hurried out the door in pursuit of reaching school before bullets of rain began to beat down upon us. We found ourselves in Kev's car, our hair plastered to our foreheads. 

        When Kev's rust-stricken Mustang came to a halt, I stepped out and slammed the door forcefully.  

       We began walking to the front door when Kev acknowledges three girls, "Hey!"

        "It's Kev Harper," I heard one whisper to her friend.

        "Kev, let's go, we're going to be late," I said through clenched teeth.

        "Okay," Kev replied beginning to jog towards the front door, in which I joined in.

        As we walked through the doors, I immediately felt a burst of cold air hit me in the face.

         Not too long after Kev and I entered the building, the downpour started, and for the rest of the day we heard the rain monotonously hit the ceiling above us. It was just a droopy day, like most of the days here. Kev was greeted by friends every second of the day.

        If only everyone had just the slightest clue what would end up happening to Kev Harper. 

        {Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed it <3}