Chapter 11

Matthew's POV

Catherine has been at her parents' house for a week, which gave me time to think.  I know I've treated her horribly.  My wolf hates me for it, too.  I do love her, but I hate the fact that she isn't a werewolf.  I know I shouldn't take it out on her because it wasn't her fault, but I can't help it.

Then I heard her thoughts about taking a walk to think about things.  I'm not surprised at what her next thought was, 'I hate you!' then she shut me out.  I sighed and sat on my couch, listening to music. I understand completely why she hates me, and I don't blame her.

I wanted to make it up to her, but I know that whatever I do, it will never be enough, even if she does forgive me.

My wolf suddenly muttered, "They should just steal it all."

"Who should steal what?" I asked.

"Catherine's cat just asked me about our loot." He replied, "And I told her the history."

I sprang to my feet, "Catherine's in the underground storage area?"

"She tripped on the handle and went inside to see what it was." He explained.

"You idiot!" I growled at him, running outside, "Tell her to get out of there!  Don't you remember the trap we set?"

This time I heard him talking to her cat, "Get out of there!  There's a trap!"

I raced for the storage room, not bothering to shift because I was almost there, "Too late," my wolf whimpered, "the gas just turned on."

I growled at him, but there was no time to be mad at him.  I got to the storage room and opened the hatch.  I quickly went down to the door at the bottom and used the code to turn off the gas.  The door opened and I saw Catherine sitting against the wall.

Catherine's POV

My cat told me about the trap just after I set it off.  I held my breath, even though I knew it would only work for about a minute.  I sat against the wall, hoping someone would come.  I finally had to let the breath out.  My lungs needed air, so my body forced me to breath in the gas.  I was close to passing out when the gas turned off and the door opened.  Air was filtered into the room and I gasped for oxygen. Matthew was standing in the doorway.  He slowly came over to me and I closed my eyes, ready for the punch, but it never came.

"I'm sorry." He murmured.

I looked up at him and he looked sad.  This was probably his wolf.

"This isn't my wolf." He said, hearing my thoughts, "I'm sorry for hurting you, and marking you without permission."

He sounded like he meant it, but I didn't believe him.

He ignored that thought, "I know nothing I do or say will ever make up for it, but I'm going to try anyway."

He helped me up and I leaned against the wall, thinking about what he just said.

He held on to my hands softly, "It's stupid for me to ask this, but can you ever forgive me?"

I knew it would take a while for me to forgive him - if ever - but I could at least give him a chance.

"Thank you." He whispered, "That's all I needed." then he leaned in slowly and kissed my cheek, which told me he really meant it.

A/N

The idea of these last two chapters came from a dream I had a few nights ago.