Chapter 5: Getting to Know the Family

Author's note: You'll find out who the picture is of in a moment though you probably already have an idea😏

————————————————————————

Once outside, I laid my towel on one of the chairs. While turned around, I heard a sudden scream from Sam before watching him run into the water. I turned just in time to have the water splash my back.

"Don't get too wild, Sam," Kenton warned as he stepped out of the enclosed back patio. He walked down the few steps before sitting on a chair near mine. He stayed sitting up, his eyes on Sam to make sure he was being safe. I sat down after him and looked over at Sam. The boy was trying to go further into the pool by his top toes, his head tilted back to keep his face above the water.

"When I'm gone, he'll be allowed in the pool. Just make sure to watch him. His bedtime is at eight thirty, and no, I do not allow him to stay up later to watch a movie despite him saying I do. He doesn't have any allergies. And he has to take showers, not baths. The water will irritate his skin otherwise. He'll need your help with how much shampoo and such to use," Kenton listed off. I looked over at him, processing the information. It wasn't too hard to do since it was all simple.

We went more into depth with what Sam could do and not do. He was telling me about Sam's schooling schedule when the patio door closed. Looking back, I saw a woman dressed in a body hugging dress. Her face was covered in makeup. She looked fine, but it was too much for my liking. It did, however, make her look like she had money.

"I'm home," she smiled. From the pool, Sam began to splash around as he tried to get out of the pool. In under a minute, his wet feet padded across the ground as he ran to his mother. She took a step back when she saw he was wet but took him into her arms anyways. She hummed, "Hi, baby." I smiled at the scene. I didn't know them well but seeing Sam that happy was always good.

Kenton looked back at the two of them, forgetting about his sentence midway when he heard her voice. "Hey. Atlanta get over early?" He asked her as he stood up. He gave her a light kiss as a greeting.

Sam looked over at me, asking me if I'd join him in the pool once his parents began to speak. I agreed and took him into my arms. We went over to the pool and played.

After about an hour, I was worn out from all the swimming. I was surprised by how well Sam could stay under the water and hold his breath. Sometimes, the boy beat me. I got out of the water and wrapped the towel around my waist. Sam wasn't done yet so I sat on the edge of the chair, drying off while I watched him. Kenton and his wife, who's name was Diane, went inside after we'd gotten into the water. They seemed like a nice little family so far.

"Dinner's going to be ready soon. Might want to get ready," Diane announced, the door cracked open just a smidgen. I stood up, grabbed his towel, and walked over to the edge of the pool.

"C'mon, bud. Gotta clean up," I told him. He swam over to me before lifting his little body out of the pool. His fingers and toes were more wrinkled than any raisin I'd seen. I chuckled softly at the sight and wrapped the little boy in the fluff.

We went into the house once Sam was dry enough to walk and not leave little footprints. I left the towels in the little patio to dry off before walking inside. We went upstairs together before parting ways at our doors. "You got it yourself?" I asked. I was answered with a very offended looking six-year-old and a closed door. "I guess so," I mumbled to myself and went into my room. I wondered if that was how it was to have a little brother as I changed into fresh clothes. I walked out of my room as Sam did.

"See? I can do it," Sam insisted and showed me his outfit. I reached around him and fixed the tags sticking out from behind.

"Sure can," I chuckled.

——————————————————————

I leaned back in my chair, my stomach full of food. Diane had insisted on me going in for seconds and I couldn't deny her a third time. "That was really good. Thank you," I announced once I placed my fork down on the edge of the plate. Back at home, I was used to cereal or ramen noodles. Such complex meals were starting to win me over with this family. I took a sip of my soda to wash it all down.

"It's no problem, really," Diane smiled before bringing her glass of wine up to her lips. She placed it back down on the dining room table before asking me, "So, are you liking it here enough to take on the job?"

I took my napkin, making sure no food was left on my face. "Yes, ma'am. It seems like a nice job and Sam is great," I answered and gave her a smile. I looked over to Sam and saw him grinning. He went back to his noodles and slurped them up.

Kenton looked over at his wife and spoke up, "He's been doing good with Sam so far. Much better than the last girl."

A scoff passed Diane's lips when the girl was mentioned. She saw my furrowed eyebrows and went on, "She snuck into my closet the first time she was alone in this house and stole my jewelry." My eyebrows rose at the new knowledge.

"I'd never steal anything from this house. I promise," I insisted.

Diane gave me a smile and lightly patted my hand on the table. "I know, honey. You're too sweet and respectful," she assured me. She turned her head to Kenton and spoke to him instead this time. "You should let him invite some friends over next weekend to let him get more settled in and feel welcome," she decided. I went to decline but she was a woman that got what she wanted.

Dinner ended not too long after our conversation. I helped clean up the table and the dishes.

"You go on and get ready for bed. Tomorrow is your first day on your own and you'll need the rest. I've got it all from here," she instructed me as she placed the dishes in the dishwasher.

I gave her a nod and smile. "Goodnight, ma'am," I said before going up the stairs to my room.

——————————————————————

Five likes for the next part!