Prologue

Reece
"We should go somewhere else!" A voice shouted. "No! It's too late to move anywhere. She's about to give birth! Whether or not anyone wants to, we will have to deliver it ourselves! Just breathe baby." A woman laid on the floor of a ruined building, the only one that was still standing with a roof. She was screaming, it all happened so quickly. One minute there was screaming from one person, the next it was from another, a new person.

It was a boy, a big boy. "He'll have the build for one then. One less thing we have to worry about." The man wiped off the blood on the baby's face, and covered him in a jacket. "Isabelle, it's a boy!" The man said, but he got no answer. He stared grievously at the corpse that laid on the floor, legs spread and covered in blood.

A scream followed the silence, it wasn't a man's scream, nor a baby's, but a young girl's. She ran into the building crying, scared of something. "Reece! They're here! We have to leave!" Another man said; Reece's friend. He took the girl in hand, and ran from the vicinity in all haste. Reece cried, only attracting attention to the danger nearby, but left the ruins, holding his new-born son. The outside courtyard, was covered in old vines, and the sky was streaked with lines of smoke.

Australia was one of the last to fall, but when it all started, it fell easy. Most of the country bowed down, hoping to survive, but no. The Shadows weren't simply merciless, they were straight up murderers. "The Shadows will be here soon, we will have to travel fast. Reece... I'm sorry man... About Isabelle." Reece didn't listen, thought it best to think about it later, and keep travelling.

As they were leaving, the little girl started to fall tired. No one could carry her, she wasn't an average weighted girl. The party had slowed down a great deal, and as time passed, so did the sun. It was most dangerous at night. The Shadows could only travel in shadows, making them invisible when they are in Shadow form. At night, the Shadows are everywhere. During the day, the sun limits them, and when the shadows are in the sun, they cannot be in shadow form. For some reason, the moon makes it so they are constantly in Shadow form, without a choice. Some perk of being part of the league. Now at walking speed, the group were coming up on their destination, and the baby stopped crying for the first time.

The home shelter was far from the supply point. "Why did they make home so far from the food?" The little girl always asked the same thing when she went on the supply run. "Because Trixie, we couldn't risk giving up our position by putting our base anywhere near a source for a shadow. That's why it's so far out into open wasteland, where there are no shadows."

The base had been so fortified, not even 2000 Shadows could get through the first barrier. Solar lights were placed all along the entire fence of the base, so there were no risks of any Shadows entering. "Are you going to be okay Reece?" "I'll be fine. Got any names?" Reece turned around and gave an emotionless look at his friend. "How bout Troy? That's a pretty sexy name." He gave a shout of laughter, but soon stopped. "Don't push it. You'll be lucky if I name you and Terry the Godparents... Even though I don't have anyone else in mind..." The silhouette of Home appeared over a small hill, and they all made haste to get back. It was a long walk to get back, at least 3 hours at a constant speed. Trixie ran, the chubby little thing. The gate opened slowly and after a moment, she ran into a woman's arms. She was a thin woman of 28, a slight tan and brown hair. She looked tired, the bags under her eyes gave it away. But then she always did, she couldn't sleep knowing her daughter would be going on a supply run the following day...

"Terry. What a sight it is to see you. Better come inside, we've a lot to talk about..." He looked back at Reece who was walking slowly, with a deep sadness on his face. "What's wrong? Where's Izzy?" Terry asked Reece. Without an answer again...She always knew when someone wanted her to shut up. She followed Reece and kept silent the rest of the way. When they entered a room, they were all showered with a blast of cold. A welcoming one though, the day was hot. I'll call you Jack. No that's too common a name. John, Josh, Jeremy... Reece gave his newborn son to Terry, and woke the boy. He screamed and screamed, crying for his mother. But she was gone... "Do we have anything we can give to him?" She asked someone and walked off.