Phone Call

"Yes!" I shout out for happiness as I lay down the winning hand in BS.
"Hey, you cheated!" Justin mock pouts.
I laugh as he throws his cards down and crosses his arms. I reach across the table, unfolding his arms and start to kiss him. I feel a warmth spreading outwards from where he's touching me.
As the kiss turns passionate his phone starts to ring.
He makes an apologetic face as he grabs his phone and stands up.
It wasn't always like this.
When we first met, we could spend hours together without getting a single text. But that was before the videos.
A little bit after we started dating, Justin showed me some of the songs he had written. I felt honored because he had shown no one else. He wasn't that kind of person. Listening to them, it made me happy. My boyfriend had talent. Like, not auto tuned talent.
I knew he needed to share his talent so I convinced him to post his videos on youtube.
I was right, he did have talent. And soon, people started noticing.
He got a record label with a company and his career shot off. Now, I'm certainly not angry it's just I didn't know he would get this big this fast and now we almost never get to hangout.
"FRESH-AVAKADO. FRE-FRESH AVAKADO"
My ringtone interrupts my thoughts and I look to see who's calling. Nina.
"Hey." I say as get up from the table so I don't interrupt Justin's call.
"So... How's it going?" She asks getting right to the point in a way only a best friend would.
"Good I guess, it's so nice to spend time with him but he's on the phone right now." I try to not let my disappointment be obvious.
But she's my best friend, she knows how I feel.
"Ouch."
"Ya."
"Well, it's probably something important having to do with his music right?" She try's to put a positive spin on it. It doesn't work.
"Ya, I guess. Listen, thanks for calling your the best, but I have to go talk to you tomorrow bye love you."
She returns my love and I hang up. I turn around to see if Justin's off the phone yet and I'm disappointed.
"Tomorrow?" He says into the phone hopefully. Theres a muffled reply and his face breaks into a smile.
He can't tell I'm listening. Maybe that's why he does what he does. Maybe he doesn't actually mean it. Maybe it's his mom on the phone.
"I love you." He whispers into his phone. Words that are meant only for me. My heart sinks.
He quickly hangs up and spins around. His smile drops from his face as he sees how close I was to him.
"Who was that?" I ask.
"Oh, the phone call? It was nothing."
"It didn't seem like nothing when you said I love you" I fold my arms. He sighs.
"Come on Kace, let it go. It was nothing."
I start to say something but he cuts me off. He presses his lips to mine, eliminating everything else in the world.
After some kissing and cuddling he finally talks.
"So, coffee and Allegiant tomorrow?" He brushes off the phone call like it was nothing. And I guess it was.
"Sure, how about 6 cause Nina's coming over earlier."
"Sounds good." He ends the night with a kiss and leads me to my car. As I get in I stop myself.
"Jus, the phone call-" He interrupts me.
"Lets talk about it tomorrow ok? I love you." He closes my door.
"Ok, I love you." I back out of his drive way wondering who was on the phone.