Episode Two: "Raising Kane"

"You know, Kane," Mary began while chopping vegetables for dinner. "I was going to say no. But I think I made the right call!" She looked at Kane who lay on the cool tile of the kitchen floor. He tilted his head and barked once in agreement. She smiled at the pup and continued her meal prep.

Her neighbors, the Parkers', the wealthiest family in their small town, had asked her a month ago to house sit while they are gone on their two week vacation to Aspen. Mary had at first been reluctant, but they offered to match whatever her retail job would have paid her.
They also have her free reign over the sprawling home. They also told her she could bring her dog, and eat, drink, or use whatever she wanted. "Just don't destroy or steal anything!" Mrs. Parker joked as she closed the door behind her as they left that morning.

And so Mary and Kane had the huge house to themselves. The first night was almost through and Mary had finished her dinner and fed Kane. "What to do now," Mary wondered aloud as Kane retuned from his bathroom break. She closed and locked the door behind him, setting the alarm as she'd been instructed. The dog yawned and stretched and stared at her, as if waiting for his cue.

Mary climbed the large spiral staircase toward the bedroom she'd left her things in, Kane close behind. When she opened the double doors to the bedroom and gazed upon the massive feather bed, she sighed. "To bad we can't just stay here forever, right boy?" He nuzzled his face against her head and she scratched him behind the ears.

Out of curiosity she walked to the adjacent bathroom. "As large as the bedroom is, the bathroom must be epic!" She thought. She was not wrong.

Not only was there double sinks, and an enormous glass door tiled shower but, and this the best of all, a large claw foot, soaking tub. "Oh my," Mary thought. "I've always wanted one of those." She suddenly pictures herself reading the historical romance novel she'd packed, while soaking in that very welcoming tub.

"Maybe tomorrow night," she told herself.

Instead, she threw in her pjs, propped herself up on the soft pillows, and pulled out that book. Kane curled up at the foot of the bed and made himself comfortable as she prepared to read herself to sleep.

[...]

Outside the summer air was still and quiet. No noise save for the sound of a gentle breeze sweeping through the trees surrounding the estate. Few lights downstairs shine through the many windows, piercing the darkness.

Placed at every entrance and at each corner were motion detecting lights, always in guard and ready to detect all movement. About an hour after Mary and Kane drifted off, a single light suddenly glowed in the darkness.

[...]

Mary was startled out of her dream by the barking of a dog. It took her a moment to remember where she was. When it hit her, she looked around and saw Kane, who stood defensively and at alert, growling at what seemed to be nothing. "Kane?" She climbed out of bed, rubbing her eyes and pushing her glasses in her face. "What is it? You need to use the bathroom?"

She opened the door to the bedroom and he rushed out, barking frantically, before she could catch him. She rushed down the carpeted stairs in her sock feet, trying not to slide as she went. When she found Kane at the patio doors he was staring into the darkness, a low growl pouring from his muzzle. The sound have Mary chills. She'd never heard it from him. She looked out into the night, trying to see what he saw, with no such luck.

"It was probably just a dream, bud." She scratched his ears to try and calm him. He shook her off, ignoring her, and continued to stare and growl.

Not knowing what to do, wondering if he was sick, maybe, she sat down at the nearby table and watched him.
After a few minutes she picked up her cell and texted a friend for comfort. Explaining what happened. "He probably got spooked is all." Crystal responded. "My dogs bark at the wind, and Kane's in an unusual place. Just woke up from a dream, and confused him."