One Step Closer

The ballroom was deserted. Ornate banners and streamers hung all across the room for tomorrow's event. That event was the reason Nills traveled to this marvelous new land far past his own in the Eastern Isles.

        Yes, Arendelle was a mystery. It was a charming country full of kind people. Its castle, so recently opened to the public, was a masterpiece in the center of the land, but within it was the real spectacle.

        Now, there she was. Her flowing blue dress sparkling in the lantern light. The stars in the windows twinkled in her ocean like eyes. Her braid hung over her left shoulder and bounced with her movements.

        She was a girl unlike any he'd ever seen. She wore none of the large, complicated dresses like all the girls in his homeland. He listened to her heels tap the floor as she twirled. What she was trying to accomplish, he didn't know, but it was amusing to watch.

        It was surprising that someone normally so graceful stumbled, but her cape caught under her foot causing her to slide backwards. Quickly, Nills held out his arms as she landed in them. She glanced up into his soft green eyes.

"Excuse me." he said helping up, his hands gentle, "Nills Norbjorn of the Eastern Isles."

"Queen Elsa of Arendelle."

"Forgive me for asking, but were you dancing?"

        Her light cheeks looked pink, her eyes darted to the floor, "No, I don't dance."

"Why not? I'm sure you're a wonderful dancer."

"I...I never learned. You must think it's odd. A queen is supposed to know how to dance, but I..."

"I'll teach you. Trust me, Elsa... may I call you that?" she nodded; he held out his hand, "Once you get the hang of it, you're nearly an expert."

        Elsa slowly laid her hand in his. Her touch was cold but gentle like the snow. Nills guided the  other hand and place his arms accordingly. Then, they began. The prince lead her across the floor.

        She kept her back straight. A common posture for a queen, but a useless philosophy for dancers. "Relax." Nills assured her, "You're doing great." The queen's shoulders lowered and she copied his steps, her eyes locked on their feet.

"Focus on the music, steps change."

"There is no music." she replied, though the answer was obvious.

"Allow me." he whispered.

        He sung the notes of his favorite waltz. It was a song that made him perk up his ears and tap his feet. It was the perfect song to teach with. Elsa gazed at him and laughed as his curled brown hair fell onto his face.

"I really should have it cut." he chuckled.

"Leave it." Elsa said brushing it back, "It fits you."

"Thank you...I think your hair is quite lovely."

"Thank you."

        His heart stopped. Somehow, she seemed even prettier with a smile stretched across her face. Only now did he notice her freckles and realize how blue her eyes really were. The teacher studied his student, struggling to stay focused.

"Dancing is just responding to the music. If it tells you something do it. Don't hold back." Nills instructed, "Dancing is in your heart not your head. Let you emotions move you."

        They merged. Two dancers into a pair. They were inseparable though all that really joined them was their arms. Nothing else existed past Nills' voice and their moving bodies. A clock chime awoke them; their eyes met.

"It's late," Elsa whispered, "Tomorrow's a big day."

"Will I see you at the ball then?"

"I'll be there." she said turning towards the door.

"Elsa," she looked at him, "I wish your sister and her suitor the best in their engagement."

"I will tell them you said so." she disappeared down the hall.

        Nills stood alone in the empty room. She'd taken with her the life it had earlier. It was clear to see what else she'd stolen, his heart.

*Author Note:* Short story I know. Hope you like it.