Harry's P.O.V.

‘‘What?’’ I demanded.

I normally tried not to lose my cool in front of Dumbledore, but this had to be an exception.

‘‘Voldemort has a grandson?’’ I asked.

Dumbledore nodded calmly. ‘‘Yes, Harry,’’ he confirmed.

My eyes widened. I’d been hoping he’d be joking (though I’m pretty sure he’d never joke about something as serious as this).

‘‘Whilst his mother is a squib,’’ Dumbledore continued, ‘‘young Perseus - the same age as you, by the way - has shown a remarkable amount of power. Of course, so did his grandfather, so we can be sure to expect great things from him.’’

‘‘Terrible things, more like,’’ I muttered under my breath, but the Professor carried on as if he had not heard.

‘‘He lives with his mother, Sally, in New York, America,’’ he said. ‘‘I would hope that you will join me in informing them of their lineage.’’

My head snapped up, shocked.

‘‘What?’’ I spluttered. ‘‘Me? But - but, his granddad killed my parents! Why do we need to talk to him?’’

‘‘Harry, the Jacksons do not know of their magical blood, and so it is our duty to tell them, like we did for you.’

‘‘But they’re evil!’’

‘‘Young boy, there is no good and evil. We all have light and dark inside us. However, now that Lord Voldemort has risen once more, he may learn of his American family and, although his daughter may not be of use to him, I’m sure Perseus will prove to be the perfect heir.’’

‘‘So why do we need to help him by telling him about his evil grandfather?’’ I demanded. ‘‘Surely he’ll go straight over to dark side,’’ I added.

‘‘Perhaps, but this is exactly we must reach him first. If we can convince him to help us, not only will we have less to worry about, but we will have the advantage of having Lord Voldemort’s heir with us.’’

‘‘Well what if he betrays us?’’ I desperately thought of another excuse to not find him.

‘‘We will be aiming to convince him to attend Hogwarts in your year, Harry, so you will be able to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn’t join his grandfather,’’ Dumbledore replied.

‘‘And you think it’s worth the risk?’’ I asked.

‘‘I believe that we must give him a chance,’’ the old Headmaster answered simply.

Harry sighed. He didn’t agree, of course, but until he could think of more reasons not to deliberately give a dangerous wizard a wand, he could do nothing to convince his headmaster otherwise.