Prologue

Vajra Prosper stood firmly as the angry screams of a riot echoed from outside. Her husband, Śakti, paced in front of her, his eyes shifting nervously back and forth to the door. It was the only entrance and exit to the room, so long as you ignored the large glass ceiling, but that had been locked down and shielded for protection. The rest of the room held a large table with a map of the kingdom, several chairs, and a dozen tapestries that hung on the torchlit walls.

Vajra sighed, bringing a large golden sphere closer to her chest. How ironic, for so long she and Śakti had worked together to unite a broken kingdom, but they had only succeeded in turning their people against them. She could hear them now, their rushing footsteps, the clang of metal against steel, and the roars of dragons.

A knock sounded at the door. Śakti jumped out to shield his beloved, and Vajra hid the sphere beneath her purple robes. There was a soft click and a tall figure entered the room, then hastily closed the door. A muddy cloak hid his features, but Vajra would have known him anywhere.

"Tāre!" she hissed. "What in Modala's name are you doing here?"

Tāre fumbled to remove his hood, revealing a dark skinned man with curly black hair and yellow reptilian eyes.

"Jik Śakti!" he cried and bowed respectfully. "They have breached the gates and are closing in on the tower!"

Śakti let out a frustrated growl, "I am aware of that fact, Tāre. Do you have any useful news?"

Vajra glared at her husband, "Sorry, Tāre," she said, looking back at her friend. "Stress has worn thin whatever patience we had."

Tāre nodded, "I understand, but I do have good news. I found an opening in the crowd, I can guide the two of you to safety, but we must leave now! There is no doubt that some wyrms have already fought their way through!"

Vajra let out a low growl, her golden eyes narrowing into slits. "I will not leave to cower in a corner while my people need me, Tāre."

"Please, Vajra, listen to me," Tāre begged. "Now is not the time to be stubborn! If you will not leave for your own sake, do it for the egg!"

Vajra marched straight at Tāre, but was suddenly held back by her husband.

"Śakti, what are you—!" Vajra hissed, but he placed a finger to her lips.

"Vajra, he has a point." he murmured sadly, his blue eyes filled with despair. "The egg must be protected, and who better to protect it than you?" Śakti then took a step back. "I will stay here to receive judgment while the two of you escape."

"No! I refuse to abandon you here." Vajra said angrily, blinking the tears from her eyes. "You are my husband, and I made a vow to you. I will not break it."

Śakti ran a hand through his dark blue hair, "But what about the egg?"

Vajra bit her lip as she thought, then she looked at Tāre. "He can take the egg."

Tāre jumped, his eyes wide with shock.

Śakti looked unsure, "Vajra..."

"He is my best friend, Śakti," Vajra argued. "I have known him since I was a hatchling. I would trust him with my life, our child will be safe with him." She dug into her robes and pulled out the golden sphere, holding it out towards Tāre. "Tāre, promise me that you will take this egg and hide it well. I do not wish for it to suffer the aftermath of this war."

"Vajra do you think it wise?" Śakti interrupted suddenly, glancing uneasily at Tāre. "I would rather a drake-"

"Wyrm, drake or slime covered toad, it does not matter." Vajra said sternly. "Trust matters, and I trust him. Do you doubt my judgement, husband?" she asked in a cool, dangerous tone. "An army at our gates ready to kill us all and you can't trust the word of your Myā?"

He sighed, "Fine." Then he turned to Tāre, "Do as she says, then return to fight."

Tāre nodded, and took the egg from Vajra. "Of course, my Jik, but promise me you will keep Vajra safe."

An angry flame sparked in Śakti's bright blue eyes, but before he could speak he caught the look from his wife.

He sighed again and looked at the wyrm before him, "I will protect her with my life."

Tāre bowed respectfully to the Myājik, tucked the egg into his cloak, gave Vajra a last, long look, and then left the room.