S I X

The palace was silent with its ghosts lingering amidst the shadows. There was a stifling atmosphere surrounding the halls as they passed through. There, against the tiles, Aleksander saw the stains of blood from decades past. In all its horror, he could not help but feel the rush of nostalgia running through his mind. This was once his childhood home.

They fanned out taking down each palace guard they came into contact with as silent as assassins. He continued to creep further down the hall along with his men. A couple guards came by causing him to sink further into the shadows.

Once they passed, Aleksander motioned for some of his men to come forward. He left a small portion to go and take out the guards. He could no allow for any of them to live and risk alarming the others, as well as the king. The area was very familiar to him and his men, so maneuvering around them was not the issue at hand. It was getting to the Royal Chambers.

As they reached the main hall everything seemed to deaden. Everything was too quiet. There was a sense eeriness about the place. It felt haunted and riffled with bad aura. He held up a hand before any of them thought to cross over to the stairs.

Instead if listening to his silent command, one of his men dared to walk across. He made far into the middle before something swept. Next, Nilson was on the ground. A puddle of blood formed around him soon after.

"We must get to the Royal Chambers," Reginul hissed under his breath. "Some men must die for it."

Aleksander pursed his lips as he saw two then three more of his men walking to the middle to inspect Nilson's body. He watched as they looked around for the shadowy figure. More of them were looming around pressed against the walls.

There, over by the pillar, he had seen it. There was something sitting on top of its heading. Something like a crown, Aleksander surmised before pressing forward. He saw as it crept up the stairs towards the Royal Chamber rooms.

Just as he came out of hiding, gaunt, disfigured men encircled them. They left no exit unblocked. Their eyes were hollow, black and dark as a void. The skin on their bodies was pale and peeling. They reeked of dead flesh.

"Demons!" Reginul shrieked.

Everyone began to unsheathe their swords and stood in place. Aleksander's eyes were wide with disbelief. It was what his father had said it would be. The darkness would soon come and he should not fear it. His hands tightened on the hilt of his sword before he took it out of his sheath.

"Protect the king!"

Their movements were stiff, at first. Soon, they swept passed taking out two then three more of his men. They were becoming frantic wanting to break their ranks, but there was nowhere to run to.

"Move closer! Tighten the ranks!" Aleksander shouted.

They closed in and was quick to do as was commanded. The demons attacked once more, but Alkesander countered their attack. He took a step forward and countered with a strong swing of his sword. Another slash of it caused one its arms to fall off. He landed another hit and its head followed.

"If you move, make sure you can come back. If we break this circle, we will all die!" Aleksander emphasized as another one came and took a slash at him. Its claws left a gash on his sword arm, but he ignored it elbowing it in the face. He took his sword and plunged it into the sockets of his eyes. They were fast, but they were not so strong.

Before he could take his sword back, another was on him. It took a bite of his neck just as Reginul stuck a dagger through its head.

"The ranks are broken! You must go!"