Chapter 4

John:

I stumbled forward into the woods, nearly running. Tears streaming down my face blurring my vision of the ground. I felt relieved to finally be away from Moriarty, but it was smothered by my grief. Everything that Jim said, that Sebastian said, it made sense. I don't want to believe it. But it made sense. Normally, in a situation like this, Sherlock would come and find me within a day. Maybe two. But Sherlock hadn't come. He had left me abandoned in the hands of the most dangerous man i know. He wouldn't do it purposely. I know, but God, it made sense.

I looked back. I could still see Sebastian standing there, staring back at me. He lifted his arm and i caught a glimpse at what his hand held. A gun. Pointing straight at me. I let out a cry and started to run faster. Tripping on dead branches and leaves that were scattered around the ground.

I heard the gun fire. I didn't stop. Tree bark exploded next to me. I heard it again, and it flew by my head. Memories shot through me before i could stop them. Memories of Afghanistan. Of being shot and the pain i felt. I let my instincts take over. I no longer cared what was behind me, or what awaited me when i was found. All i cared about was staying alive.

I kept running for what felt like a good thirty minutes, before i forced myself to stop and breath. I was terrified. I didn't know what waited for me after this. An empty life? I don't think i could survive something like that again. If Sherlock hadn't come back...

No. I wasn't going to think about that. I had to press on. I stood and took a step forward. And nearly fell to my knees. I was shaking pretty bad, and my left leg and shoulder were burning with pain. I was going into shock. I was breathing hard and i felt hot. I had to push on, or i would never be found. I though about it, about weather or not i wanted to be found. It might be better if i just stopped here. If i just-

A bullet whizzed past my ear and shot into the ground. Bringing the leaves to life. I let out a terrifying cry and ran. He had caught up to me. God he was going to kill me. And once again, the solder inside took over. Leading me away from the trail, down a hill. I sloshed through a small creek and began to run up the other side. I dared a look back to see Sebastian standing on the other side of the hill. Staring at me. A smile pressed against his face. I barely caught the word he mouthed at me. 'John'

My eyes widened with fear and I heard another shot. I quickly climbed the hill and took off running. He was going to kill me like an animal. I started to have flashbacks of Afghanistan. Running through the sand. Shooting. Enemy fire. My shoulder burned with the memories and the pain and the heat of the sun. And-

My foot caught on a branch of a fallen tree, and I fell. My chest tightened as the precious moments escaped. It only took a few seconds to get back up again, but it felt like hours. I didn't look back to see where he was. I didn't dare. A force took over my body and willed my legs to run. I'm not sure what you would call it. Fear? Terror? It was the emotion you feel when you honest-to-god think you're going to die. The emotion moved my feet as i gasped for air. 

I ran for what seemed like an hour through the trees and leaves. I took a moment to catch my breath and reduced my speed down to a walk. I kept looking behind me but Sebastian was never there. The sun had set awhile ago, leaving me with the dim light of the moon. It was barely enough to keep me from tripping over logs and branches. The night was humid and left my skin sticky. I kept on moving for a good twenty minutes until the mostly flat forest starting to changed into steep hills. 

I was descending down a hill when i slipped on something wet. My feet came up from under me and my back hit the ground fairly hard. I looked around to find the source of the fall only to find nothing. I got up to leave and froze when i heard the drip. The smell of copper flooded my nose. I slowly looked up and found myself screaming. There hung my five friends. Dead. Each corps staring at me from the branches. As if asking why i didn't do anything.