Chapter One

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a new year at Hogwarts, and the students were only two days in before Malfoy started getting up the Gryffindors' noses once again. On Tuesday, Harry was walking with Hermione to Charms, and Draco felt the need to shout,

"Oi, Potter! I thought you'd be able to do better than that Mudblood for a girlfriend!"

"She's not my girlfriend!" He shouted back, turning red. Hermione blushed as well.

"Why are you with her then?"

"I am with him because we are friends, Malfoy!" Screeched Hermione, finally losing her temper, "Friends! Ever heard of that?"

After that, the three of them hurried off before Malfoy could think of a reply. They spoke no more about the matter - partly because of the embarrassment and the awkwardness, and partly as they had no more to say about it.

In Charms, Ginny came and sat down next to Hermione.

"So how are you?" She asked, as the both of them practiced the Aguamenti charm by saying the incantation and pointing their wands into buckets in front of them.

"I'm fine, thanks," said Hermione. "Did you have a good holidays after I left?"

Ginny seemed to weigh up a few different answers in her head, but once she had contemplated said, "Yes - it was alright, but when Harry came to stay he seemed really awkward and uptight about something. Do you have any idea what that might be?"

Hermione sighed. "It's probably the death of Sirius still bothering him. Did it seem to be along those sort of lines?"

"Good idea, but no," said Ginny, "Harry was acting as though he had something to hide, and he wouldn't even talk to me at most times unless I talked to him first."

"Oh." said Hermione, her heart sinking as she realised that Ginny had genuinely not worked out what this meant yet, but she had.

"Anyway, moving on to brighter topics!" Ginny grinned, "I never managed to get it out of you who you fancied when you visited at the holidays."

Hermione rolled her eyes wearily. "No, for the last time, Ginny, I am not telling you who I fancy,"

"But I would tell you!"

"Would you?"

"Yep, of course."

"Really?"

Ginny nodded.

"Well I am not you, therefore I am not telling you."

Hermione's friend pouted.

"I've managed not to tell one single person yet!" Hermione tried to reason. "And I am not planning to because I do not want the secret to get out and for it to all be ruined."

"But I won't tell anyone!"

"You might do; someone might put you under Veritaserum, or the Imperius Curse or such-like."

"I wouldn't let them." Ginny said, clutching at straws.

"Tell that to them when they sneak it into your drink unnoticed, or point their wand at you behind your back."

"Oh come on Hermione! Do you really think that someone is going to go to those lengths - just to find out who you fancy?"

"No, but it might come out when they interrogate you." said Hermione edgily.

"Who is it?" Said Ginny quickly, hoping she might startle Hermione into an answer.

"Right, I will tell you if you promise your best promise not to tell a single soul or even an object who it is-"

"Why not an object?"

"Because someone might be hiding, listening to you."

"Ok that's fine, I promise."

"I'm not finished yet!" Said Hermione impatiently. "And you also need to buy me a bar of chocolate the next time we're in Hogsmeade,"

"Why?"

"To make up for forcing me into telling you."

"I'm not forcing you-!"

Hermione shushed her, "Right, whatever, but you still have to promise."

"I said so, didn't I?" Said Ginny.

"Ok, fine. Right, I'm going to whisper it in your ear now, but you mustn't exclaim out loud or even look round at the person, or anything like that, alright? Just make sure I know that you have acknowledged it."

"Jesus, Hermione. You're spending more time planning telling me than you're going to spend actually doing it! Do you think I'm that blatant anyway?" Said Ginny, giving an exaggerated heavy sigh.

Hermione rolled her eyes and smiled, then leant forward and whispered one word into Ginny's ear. A word Ginny had never imagined would come out of Hermione's mouth in that particular context.