Atlantis Tide Breaker, Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Kiss Question

“Ashtyn.” Her name spluttered between my stiff lips. She must’ve taken the nautilus. No one else had shown interest. No one else had attached themselves to Gill like a suction cup.

He stomped down the metal bleachers. “Why would she take the nautilus?”

“Because she’s crushing on you.” And wants Gill’s attention.

Green flickered in front of my gaze like a flame of jealousy lighting the wick of possessiveness. Gill was cute—more than cute, but Ashtyn wanted things I wanted. Could she tell how much I liked Gill?

The muscles in my stomach quivered pulsing with uncertainty. Could Gill?

“Stealing something because she likes me?” His nose scrunched up in a way that showed he thought my idea silly. “That sounds so juvenile.”

Did Atlanteans not play head games?

“That’s Ashtyn.” A brilliant plan formed in my brain but the flame of envy burnt the edges trying to destroy the scheme before it took shape in my mind. But I couldn’t let jealousy deter us from finding the nautilus. We had to strike fast. “Ashtyn’s probably getting dressed in the locker room. I’ll tell her you want to talk, and then search through her things.”

“This is ridiculous.”

I didn’t do ridiculous unless I meant to be ridiculous. “Do you want the shell back?”

“I have to get the nautilus back.” The intensity of his tone scraped down my back. “It’s important to the Royal Atlantean cause.”

The nautilus was important to Gill and Maris. Which meant my sacrifice would help her even if Maris never realized.

“Then flirt with her.” Each word I spoke stabbed my heart in short lances of pain. “Keep her occupied for a few minutes.” I marched toward the locker room. “I’ll send her out.”

Ashtyn was standing by her open locker a large, heavy-looking bag in her hand. Adrenaline spiked. The nautilus must be in there. She shoved the bag in her locker before I got a chance to peek.

“You better watch your back, Tori.” Her fully-painted lips curled into a snarl. “Revenge for pushing me in the pool will be mine.” She sounded like a bad actress.

“Then, maybe I won’t tell what Gill asked about you.” When she raised her head to stare, I slipped a penny on the ledge of her locker.

“What?” The snarl morphed into a questioning pout.

“He wanted to know if you had a boyfriend and when I said no, he asked me to ask you to come out and talk to him.”

Heads turned to watch and listen.

Towering over me, she fluffed her still wet hair. “Let me finish getting dressed.”

“He has to leave. Wanted to talk to you right away.” I shrugged like it was a lost cause. “Oh well.”

“I’ll go now.” She ran her fingers through the damp strands. “Gill’s outside?”

“He was a second ago.” Like placing cheese on a mouse trap, I set the snare. “You better hurry.”

“And that’s how flirting is done, ladies.” She addressed the girls in the locker room but I knew the comment was meant for me. Giving herself one last glance at the mirror, she slammed her locker shut and raced out the door.

I held my satis-smug smile. Glancing around, I made sure everyone else returned to getting dressed. Standing in a position to block most people from seeing, I eased open Ashtyn’s locker. The penny I’d slipped in had done its work keeping the locker from properly closing and locking. I took out the bag she’d been holding and held it in my hand. About the right weight. I reached inside the bag and pulled out…