Where it all began

"Jenice Breeze?" The teacher called out, pronouncing Jenice (jeh-neice) as (gee-nice).

"I think you mean me, Ma'am. And its pronounced jeh-neice."

"Young lady, I believe I know how to pronounce a simple name such as Gee-nice. When I call your name, say either 'here' or 'present' and then stay silent." Miss Tyler snapped.

5 year old Jenice slid down in her chair, feeling upset about the teacher's rudeness, but was determined to not let her irritation show. She's quite the imbecile (I like that word, I'm glad Daddy taught it to me). But then again, maybe she's not from here. She does have an accent. Maybe where ever she's from they pronounce words differently. As she was pondering where the new kindergarten teacher was from, the door flew open revealing a disheveled-looking man followed by a small, blond boy about Janice's own age.

"I apologize for my son being late, Miss Tyler. There was an emergency at the hospital last night, so I missed my alarm this morning. I promise that my boy, Johnny, will be on his best behavior for you today."

"Thank you, Dr. Storm. Welcome to our class, Johnny! We were just calling names. Would you please take a seat over by Gee-nice?" The teacher pointed to the empty seat next to Jenice. When Johnny's father poked his arm, Johnny mumbled a thank you then walked over and sat beside Jenice.

"Hey there! My name isn't really gee-nice, its Jenice. I tried telling her that she said it wrong, but she didn't believe me." Jenice whispered in Johnny's ear. Johnny finally looked up when his father left the room, and he smiled at Jenice.

"I like that name! Mine's Johnny Storm. And you'll learn fast that teachers think they know everything. That's what my sister told me."

"I already knew your name, silly! And I have a feeling this teacher is going to be very annoying."

"How? I didn't even tell you my name!"

"It was easy. Ms. Tyler called your dad Dr. Storm, and then he called you Johnny. So unless your last name is different from your dad's, your name must be Johnny Storm!"

"Wow, you're really good at this!"

"Jenice, Johnathan! Please quiet down, you're distracting the class."

As the teacher went through introducing all of the children in the room she has them play a few games where they could get to know one another. By the end of the day Johnny and Jenice have talked to one another more than they have to any of the other students. When their parents came for them, Jenice dragged Johnny to meet her father.

"Daddy, look! This is my new best friend Johnny! And where's mommy?"

"Hello, Johnny! I'm Mr. Breeze. Who are your parents? And sweetie, mommy's head hurts again. She really wanted to be here."

"My mom and dad are over there, by the door." Johnny points out his parents, then turns to Jenice. "Are we really best friends? I really want to be if you do!"

"Of course, silly! It was meant to be!" Jenice giggled, then Johnny grinned and dragged her over to meet his father and mother, the following conversation similar to the one they just had with her father. I'm going to really like this boy, I just know it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Four years later, Johnny and Jenice are in 3rd grade. They go over to each other's houses every day after school, often depending on who's parent's were going to be home that night. They had sleepovers at least once or twice a week, with out fail. They were inseparable, as proven by the one time in 2nd grade when Johnny was grounded, and the next morning his parents found Jenice fast asleep at the foot of his bed.