Chapter 2 - Not You?

Jean blinked, pulling down the cloth covering his mouth. He looked as if he was going to say something, but nothing came out. His chest heaved and he shook his head before looking back at him. 

"Oh Jean, I'm so relieved to find you." Marco smiled warmly and stepped closer, but Jean took a step away. "I don't know what's going on. I've been out for a while it seems, and I really need you help." He moved his hand so he could show his friend his broken arm. He pointed to his stained face and chuckled nervously. "I got hurt big time, huh?"

Jean's eyes started glistening and Marco swallowed his dry throat. Something was wrong with him, but he didn't have a clue why. "You're dead. How are you standing here?" Those words hit Marco like bricks and his breath caught in his chest. 

"What do you mean...?" He wanted to cry and tell his friend he was wrong. Of course he was alive! He was thinking and breathing just like anyone else who was alive. "Jean, I don't know what you are saying!"

His friend turned and waved to him to follow. "Even if you are real or not, follow me." He began walking away, and Marco had to limp in pain after him. His Jean would have helped. He would have immediately gone to his side. There was something wrong, and what he was saying wasn't making any sense. "See?" He stretched his arm out and pointed to the building.

Marco's eyes moved down and he felt dizzy. There, was his body, or what looked like him, leaning up against the building. Getting a closer look, he noticed the whole right side of him was torn, and he looked down at his own arm. "Something isn't right, Jean I'm scared. Are you playing a joke on me, it isn't funny."

"No, why the hell would I be joking? Are you playing a joke on me? What is this?!" Jean shouted, making his friend flinch. He sighed and crouched down, holding his head in his hands. "I'm sorry, Marco. I don't know what is happening."

"I'm Marco! That's not me, please believe me! Jean, why are you not listening?" 

Jean growled and stood, grabbing the front of his uniform. "Because I don't understand! How are you here, but dead, right there?!" He swung his arm, pointing at the body below them. "How does this make any sense at all?" He pressed his head to Marco's chest, his body shocking as he sobbed. "I thought you were dead."

Marco patted his best friend, nodding and sighing. "I'll figure this out. I promise."