.: Cheshire and Rabbit :.

"Ayato!" The girl yelled. Her now short, seafoam hair danced in the wind to a tense melody, her skirt whipping around her slender legs as well. The snow fell around them, fluttering to the ground like little white fairies twirling down, down, down to their safe place, their home. Two remaining Doves had somehow cornered them -- Rabbit and Cheshire. Of all people, of all ghouls, they just had to be cornered by Doves. Of course it had to be them.

At the moment, Shizuka was thrown aside, and until now had played herself off to the Doves as unconscious, hoping they'd ease up a bit, only for them to corner Ayato. Said indigo-haired nineteen-year-old was trying fruitlessly to keep them away, though the drawn-out battle had definitely taken its toll on him and drained his stamina, as most Ukakus tended to end up like.

"Sasaki," One said into some device. Her sight was a bit blurred from the snow sticking to her eyelids, but she could see Ayato wouldn't make it if this kept up much longer. "We've taken down Cheshire and cornered Rabbit." By the way the man had opened his second quinqe (as she'd broken the first one he took out), she knew they planned to take him down. The quinqe was Bikaku, and definitely smelled familiar.

"Sh..shitty Aniki..." She growled as the scent wafted to her sensitive nose, the familiar-yet-foreign smell of her older brother beckoning her to stand. The Doves looked at her, shocked -- too shocked to fight back for the moment as Ayato took out the man that held Shizuka's dearest brother's kagune. The remaining Dove yelled out the name of his partner as the fallen investigator had been practically ripped to shreds by his kagune.

In anger, the man thrust his quinqe at Ayato, the indigo-haired male caught off guard by the sudden jabbing of a Koukaku quinqe towards his torso. Fully expecting his freezing torso to be met with the heat of a kagune's remnants, he was greeted with another sort of warmth in its stead. There before him, with a quinqe lodged through her figure, was Shizuka. The seafoam-haired girl had thrown herself in front of Ayato at the last minute -- "How cliche," he thought -- with her arms out wide, and her short hair in front of her face. Tears ran down her cheeks, it seemed, as little 'tut-tut-tut's could be heard against the snow as her blood and tears dripped down. Her expression overall was fierce, as she snarled like she was prepared to bite like a rabid animal.

"Nobody..." She growled, "Hurts... My Onii-chan..." She snapped viciously, her kagune bursting out again and repeatedly stabbing the man in the abdomen until he dropped in a bloody heap of what could once be considered a human. In an instant, her kagune vanished, her kakugan receded, and she fell to her knees. Ayato held her in an instant, though she could hardly see him. It was like her eyes were glazed over with a layer of glass, irremovable and, as disturbing as it was for him, it was almost enchanting.

"Shizuka..." He murmured, "You fucking idiot.." He was kneeled down, with her head on his lap as if he were cradling a child. His hand moved to brush through her soft hair in a comforting manner -- it was almost like silk, if he'd ever known the texture. "Come on," His voice was hoarse as he continued to speak, "You've gotta.. You've gotta eat up, so you can heal..."

"Ayato. St..stop..."

"Wha--"

"Look, Ayato-nii," She murmured weakly, ignoring him with a gentle smile on her face as she barely managed to point to the sky above. Snow still fell, and the sky was an almost intoxicating slate grey as it loomed over them. Ayato took notice of how a perfect snowflake managed to land in her hair, just above her right eye in her bangs. "H..how pretty.." Only then did he take the time to really notice her features -- pale pink lips formed into a soft, peaceful smile, slightly chapped and with a tint of blue from the cold; soft sapphire eyes, with such a light behind them that it got him fired up, though now that light was fading fast as she gazed at the sky. The way her eyelashes, long and dark, made her almost doll-like, especially with the pink tint of her cheeks and nose as the cold nipped away at their skin. "So fragile," he thought.