Zack

Mission Report: Ravencrest Senior Highschool – February 1st

Overview: Two weeks after the formation of New Ravencrest by Mayor Paulson, two teams were assigned to clear out the local high school so all local survivors can move in to one central location in order to increase security and better divide resources.

Team Members: Zack Weber, Derrick Herald, Nico Moscowitz, Lila ???, Margo Night

Report: I’ve been told to write down the details of the mission in in the school yesterday, so that there’s no confusion about what happened to our people. I’m not sure why it matters— it’s not like there is going to be some kind of official inquiry or anything. Pretending like this is some sort of government operation won’t change the fact that this “report” is being written by a guy who should probably be in science class right now. But, whatever… this is how it went down.

We geared up at The Hunting Depot with the other team. I could see my breath it was so cold, and Derrick was yapping about what a waste of time this was and how it would all lead to government control all over again. I tried to ignore him and spent the whole half hour wishing I hadn’t volunteered.

It wasn’t that I didn’t think we should be going into the school. My mom and I live so far out on the edge of town that I’m looking forward to being around people again. I just wasn’t convinced I wouldn’t go and get these four people killed.

Despite the cold, I could feel beads of sweat sliding down my spine as I got my weapons together. Now that we’re all pooling our resources there were finally some decent zombie killing options. I had three knives in the pockets of my cargo pants, a crossbow on my back and some kind of gun in my waist band. I’m pretty sure I’d been the only guy in my class who didn’t pay attention when we got that firearm lecture. Life or death, I knew how to use it, I just really didn’t want to. Still don’t. The rest of my team has pretty much the same set of stuff. Derrick had the same and then probably twice that. The guy likes his weapons.

Not a lot of people in town were willing to put their necks out to get this ‘new home’ idea of Paulson’s up and running. Out of forty or so, only nine were willing to try to take back the school, and one of ‘em was that guy who had just gotten here a few days ago with his family. Miles something. Damn, I don’t even know the guys last name. He wasn’t even from here and he was more willing to fight back than half the guys who had lived here their entire lives.

The nine of us split up into two groups, with Paulson leading three and me leading four, since our group was less experienced. It hasn’t been that long and already there are different levels of zombie killing expertise. Weird. I should probably get double credit for spending years killing zombies on XBOX before any of this crap even happened. Still, I’m not even sure how I ended up leading Group B. I guess I know the school better than most, and probably ended up putting down about ten of my turned classmates back in September, but I don’t really enjoy the fight. Not like some of these guys do.

Anyways, we got everything together, went over the plan again, then took off for the high school. Two minutes before go time, and both teams were just standing in the Ravencrest High parking lot looking less than excited. Paulson’s daughter was there too. She would be staying just outside the school with a first-aid kit. Not that it would do any of us much good if it came down to it, but it’s all we had.

We weren’t sure how many people would have holed up in the school after they got bit, but I could already see three of the dead pounding their fists against the lobby door, trying to get to us. They looked fully dead though, so at least there was no way these could be like the hardcore zoms that killed the Coopers. They would be harder to kill, but at least they were too dumb to charge at you in a group, or figure out how to open the sliding door and get to us before we got to them. We were pretty sure that anyone inside the school would be well, zombies. I even recognized one of them from my second period English class.