Prologue

The prologue is really bad, and I swear the first chapter is a lot better. So please be patient with the prologue and read on to the first chapter.
*****************************************************

Life is like a fire

Jay has always been adorably naive. She never understood why people hated her. She never understood their jealousy towards her. She only wanted to be liked, to be loved.

Her grandmother, who was her sole guardian, sheltered her from the world. Her grandmother hid her away in the middle of the woods, with no one around. Jay grew up free and innocent.

When Jay was twelve she met a young boy, who was only a year older, on the outskirts of the woods. Jay was instantly mesmerized by the charming young boy. They soon became good friends.

Jay's life continued on like this for five more years, peaceful and normal. Until one fateful night that changed everything.

Jay only wanted to visit Holston, her best friend. She set out onto the path to her friend's hunting cabin, like she did so many times before. She hummed quietly to herself, not fearful of the unknown that roamed the woods.

Halfway to Holston's cabin she encountered a strange man who was standing motionless with his head down, in the middle of the overgrown path.

Jay, being naive to the dangers of the world, walked closer. As Jay was about to say something, the man lifted up his head to look Jay directly in the eyes. His amber eyes gleaming with a dark amusement.

Before Jay could react, he was behind her, with one arm around her waist, and the other holding back her hair He then sunk his teeth into her shoulders.

Jay tried to scream, but it came out a strangled whimper. Soon her vision started to cloud until it became nothing.

Jay awoke to the sound of a amused laugh. As soon as she woke up she knew something was off. Her body wasn't as heavy, and everything was clearer. She looked around to see nothing, but darkness. The voice laughed again, and Jay's head followed the sound to see a figure standing in the darkness.

"Where am I?" Asked Jay, confused.

The figured smirked, and then spoke slowly as if talking to a child. "You, my dear, are dead."

Jay didn't believe the figure, she couldn't be dead, was her only thoughts.

"But you are. Now you have one of two choices, either stay dead or make a deal with me. Now personally, option number one is rather boring, and option number two will make your life a lot more interesting." The figure grinned at his statement.

Jay narrowed her eyes in confusion, "what type of deal?" The figure smiled as if he won already.

"The deal would be simple really. I would give you you're life back if you gave me you're soul."

Jay reeled at the idea, "My soul?"

The figure laughed at her facial reaction and said, "Not all of it, that would kill me also, only half of it."

Jay stayed silent, and the figure continued, "It's a rather generous deal. Most people get less for all of their soul. Why pass up, such a wonderful deal? You get you're life back and I get a portion of you're soul."

Jay contemplated the deal for another minute, she was to naive to question the figures motivates or who he was. Jay had already made up her mind, she knew it wasn't right to come back to life, but she was only a seventeen year old girl. "Yes." Was all she said for the deal to be instated.

The last thing Jay saw before she past out again, before her life changed, was a cruel smile placed firmly on the figure's face.

Without realizing it Jay made a deal with a demon, and that demon resides within her. Jay will never be the same, for a mortal, a soul is the most important thing.

Life is like a fire. Burning and thriving, but there is no such thing as a smokeless fire.