Chapter Four: We All Have Our Debts

Chapter Four

"And you really expect me to believe all that?" I stared blankly. Chester sighed and gave me an impatient look.

"Yeah because cats just randomly turn into people. It's all the rage these days."

"Point taken," I nodded simply. I rested my head in the palm of my hand and sighed. This was all so weird and out of this world, yet somehow I wasn't suprised by all this. It only made sense that Torren and Chester weren't human, and this wasn't a normal shop. This place was too... unique to be like any other place.

"So can I finish without you trying to hit me with anything else?" he twitched,  rubbing the back of his head. I laughed nervously and nodded for him to continue his story. Earlier on when he had told me that he was a cat spirit lord demon thing, I had hit him over the head with a dusty book to test how solid he was. On the bright side, he's pretty solid.

"Anyways," he coughed. "Torren and I came here and started this shop just to help us repay some of our debts we owe. Until we pay them off, we are stuck here selling trinkets to others of our world. And yours on occasion," he sighed and ran his hand through his hair with a frustrated expression.

"Debts?" I asked. His oddly colored eyes focused on me. A troubled expression was hidden deep within them. I bit my lip and looked away, hoping that I had not asked something I shouldn't have.

"We all have our debts to pay. Ours are just a bit more serious than most," he sighed. "Not to mention ours aren't repayed with just money." His eyes fell sadly and he began to drum his fingers on his leg.

"What are they paid with then?" I asked warily. I couldn't help but press on. I was so curious of this creature and his world I have somewhat had a glimpse of these past few hours.

"Some Lendors have some very... unique conditions," he said with a wry smile. I stared at him, waiting for him to carry on, but he just continued to stare off into space, lost in his own thoughts. I chewed on my lip, trying to think of what to say.

"So... what is a cat spirit demon lord thing anyways?" Chester's face seemed to brighten a bit, his thoughts distracted from whatever he had been thinking of before.

"Ah, you see, a cat is one of the spirits in charge of maintaining the balance between the physical and spiritual planes. Well at least once upon a time it was. Then the Court was created and they took over our place of protecting the balance, so we had nothing to do with ourselves. Most of us became dormant and slept within in our shrines after having lost our purpose of existence. Some continue to overlook the villages they protected, giving a helping hand to those who can no longer see us. And a few... well. A few were filled with so much sorrow or hatred towards the Court that they succumbed to their selfish emotions, and instead of helping others, they wreaked havoc upon the physical and spirit world alike. And so a new duty, to capture and return the fallen spirits to their original forms, was passed onto the Court," as he spoke, an aged look came over his right eye as he told the history of his kind.

I blinked in shock. The only spirits I had ever heard of were those of, well you know, dead people. Now I'm being told that there are secret associations that are in charge of keeping spirits in check. Not only that, but one of the ancient Gaurdian spirits was sitting not even three feet away. "What happens if they can't be turned back?" I asked much like a small child being told a fairy tale would. He laughed to himself.

"When a spirit becomes that way... They mutate, becoming grotesque creatures. The ones that cannot be helped, are destroyed."

I swallowed hard. "That won't happen to you will it?" I asked quietly. Chester fell silent.