Miriam

"Miri, can you hand me the tab?" my father asks. "I need it to see how many people are expected to come to tomorrow's Gathering."
I nod, flicking my search away from the screen. "Here," I say, handing him the tab. "It's ready for a search."

My father works for the Control Force of Samsun as head of Crowd Control. His job gives him a good standing in the public eye, but it also gives him headaches and stress disorders during Gatherings. Tomorrow he won't be home at all; my father will be making sure chaos doesn't consume the Gathering. That's what leads to home needing the tab.

Our tab is a high quality piece of the newest technology. It can access games, utensils, and the wonderful invention of the WebLink, where we can search anything and get answers to our questions. I enjoy searching unusual questions, like Where was I born? and How often do planets collide?, whereas my father uses the tab to find out how many people he should be prepared for at the Gatherings.

I don't attend Gatherings because I was diagnosed by the school nurse as claustrophobic, antisocial, and awkward, resulting in me being taught by my father at home. Only the best citizens between ages ten and sixty from each country are allowed to come to the Gatherings, resulting in me being left alone to suffer the endless silence.

"Wonderful, just wonderful," my feather states sarcastically, letting the tab slip through his hands onto the carpeted floor. He rakes his hand through his already messy brown hair, sighing. "Over a hundred thousand people are expected for tomorrow's Gathering. I'm sorry, Miri, but I need to get my men ready."

I nod again, understanding his concern. "It's fine, Dad. I've been home alone for every Gathering. Don't worry about me, worry about control."

He grins at me. "See ya later, sweetie. I might not be back until the Gathering's over." With that, my father grabs his work vest and control tools, heading out without another look back.

He never knew that would be the last time he would see me as just his strange daughter.

•••
So, how was that? I actually forgot I was supposed to update today, but here we are! Thank you so much for reading, voting, and commenting! Have a great week!

- AnaEsterly

Side note: There are 360 words not including these notes.