Chapter 29: Marriage without vows (Percy's POV)

*hahahahahahahaha I'm so sorry*

Hair black as the history that haunted him, that haunted me.

Eyes just as brown as I remembered them.

Was this the same person I fell in love with, or was this someone I wished was him?

Was I really in love with who he is...

Or who he is now?

Which is worse, to continue loving someone from the past who cannot and will not come back

Or to accept that the one you loved is dead?

****

My Mom squeezed my shoulder as we paid for the cheap candy ring. I couldn't afford to buy Nico a real ring because I am a broke demigod who is struggling to pay off student loans just like any other mortal student. Of course I love Nico very much, but unfortunately I cannot buy him the precious stone he deserves.

"He's going to be grateful," Mom promises. "When you're as foolishly in love as the two of you are, you are grateful for even the thought of a ring in the future."

"I hope so," I smile a little bit. Foolishly in love? Are we really fools in love? Nico who is currently about to embark on a "second life" for me... is that foolish? Is this... stupid? Not in a regretful way, but in a... sense way? I don't know, I'm going stupid.

After we get home Nico is angrily taking care of the plants. He isn't dressed in black, which is refreshing to see. He then washes any dishes Paul may have left and when Mom rushes in to tell him to not worry about it he smiles a little.

"Hi guys," he smiles a bit. "I'm washing the dishes and trying to flipping swear again."
"Flipping... swear?" I ask.

"I swore earlier, remember?" Nico reminds me.
"I didn't forget," My Mom pipes up.

"I didn't quite realize," I say thoughtfully.
"Well I freaking swore and now I wanna flipping do it again, but as you can fricken see I can't!" Nico yells. (A/N: lol thank you for catching that and yes this is a band aid for a lazy author who can't be bothered to just change it in the last chapter)

"Why can't you swear again?" I ask.
"Why does it matter that you can or can't swear? It's better to not swear," my Mom insists.

"Not swearing was part of the deal for being reincarnated with some memories of my past life. I remember a lot and I'm remembering a lot, but I can't swear yet and obviously I can't wear black either," Nico explains patiently. "I've also lost all my Italian which is making me itch."

"I'm sorry," I say an kiss the top of his head. "So how did you swear earlier before we left?"

"Well..." Nico murmurs, thinking out loud. "I'm guessing it's because Hades has so many things to do at literally all the time that letting me slip up without divine punishment or simply the ability not to swear will happen. That or I was finally able to do it and then now I just can't because Olympus is stupid like that."

"I guess," I shrug. "Don't worry about it, Neeks. Swear words shouldn't come for your pretty mouth."
"You wouldn't understand-" Nico begins.

"Because I don't swear," I say quickly, glancing at my mother.
"Because he doesn't swear," My Mom says at the same time as me and giving me a motherly glare. I gulp.

"Let's go upstairs!" I say and grab Nico's hand. "I have some things to talk about!" I give my mother a look and she nods. I pull on Nico's wrist and he knowingly follows, telling my Mom that he's happy to help with dinner later if she needs or wants it. He doesn't get to hear or see her answer because I'm already pulling Nico upstairs. I want to ask him as soon as possible and get this over with. The safest place for us is going to be camp and as it was, I already saw a lot of monsters when I went out with Mom. Also, as far as I know, Nico can't fight yet, so I need to protect him until he's better at fighting again.