Part 13

Michael and his children, as well as his entourage of bodyguards and Grace were on the plane the next morning, heading for home. Through some miracle, they got most of their shopping done the day before, but overall, the trip was so rushed it was exhausting. It wasn't an experience they wanted to repeat again. Once was more than enough.

So far the plane ride was relatively quiet. After breakfast, Prince, Paris, and Blanket had fallen asleep, as well as Nikki. Those who remained awake were careful not to disturb them.

Kerri was looking out the window at all the puffy clouds, only turning once to glance at Nikki's sleeping form in the seat next to her. She smiled softly to herself. 'Poor girl probably needs her beauty rest after getting up so early this morning. But then again, she has never been much of a morning person.' Noting how uncomfortable Nikki's sleeping position was, she took out a travel sized pillow and carefully slid it behind her neck, not wanting it to get hurt. Nikki stirred and groaned softly, but remained asleep. Kerri chuckled a bit. 'Wow. She is such a deep sleeper, just like Dad on the rare occasions he sleeps.' She pondered what she should do during the flight, given that there were four more hours to kill. 'Taking a nap actually sounds like a good idea, but I am wide awake now.' She settled on reading, thinking maybe it would be a good way to pass the time. She pulled out a thick, hardcover novel from her knapsack, opened it and began to read.

Michael leaned back in his seat with his eyes closed. He had hoped to get some much needed rest after another sleepless night, but no sleep would come to him. The fact that he had touched his breakfast at all came as a surprise to him. He was sure there were bags under his eyes, but then again that was normal for him. The Arviso family and how he planned to deal with them was constantly on his mind. Something told him things would get ugly, but that didn't scare him in the least. 'After all, you can't win for losing.' He forced himself to think of something much more pleasant, for he could feel his mood becoming positively foul. His mind switched to Mariann, and he wondered how she was doing. He didn't realize until now how much he wished she were with him at the moment. He had also begun to like her as more than a friend. 'I wish I could tell her that, but her feelings for me may have faded.' He let out a heavy sigh, running a hand through his hair.

After reading a few pages, Kerri decided she wasn't in a reading mood after all, and so she placed a bookmark in between the pages and placed the book back in her knapsack. She pulled out the sympathy card she and Nikki had put together to purchase for Rebecca and pulled out a pen from her purse. She opened the card and chewed on the pen cover, trying to think of a fitting heartfelt message to write. 'Ugh...this is so hard. Nikki can write like there's no tomorrow. Oh how I envy her. Why did she have to entrust me with the task of writing on the card first?' After some thinking, she finally wrote: "My condolences to you during this difficult time. I want you to know Nikki and I feel your pain and we'll be there if you need a shoulder to cry on. With love, Kerri." She read it over and smiled slightly. 'This should do. After all, Becky isn't insistent on grandiloquent speeches.' Due to the briefness of her message, there was plenty space for other signatures and short notes. She glanced over at Nikki again. 'I hope Miss Sleepyhead wakes up before I seal this. At least Dad's awake though.' "Dad?"

"Hmm?" Michael sat up straight, opened his eyes and looked at Kerri. She could tell he was stressed out from having to abbreviate the trip, but then again so was everyone else.

"Will you sign this, please?" asked Kerri in a soft tone, holding out the card. "And write a little note of encouragement if you'd like."

"Of course." Michael took the card away from his adopted daughter. He retrieved a pen from his pants pocket and looked thoughtful, trying to think of an appropriate message to write. The words came to him almost immediately. Licking his lips slightly, he composed the message on the card and handed it back to Kerri.