Free Falling (Percy Jackson FanFiction)

Ok, this story is for all the Percy Jackson fans out there, I’ve just finished reading The Mark of Athena for like, the fifth time. I’m dying without the next book, and I felt I needed to write something about what happens next with Annabeth and Percy. Of course Rick Riordan owns this stuff, no copyright intended blah, blah, and blah. The first bit is from the book. I hope you enjoy!

I may keep writing Heroes of Olympus fanfics if this really takes off, please comment below and vote. I love feedback.

Anyways, on with the story!!

Percy gripped Annabeth’s hand tighter. “It’ll be fine,” he muttered.

Looking up, she saw grappling lines shoot from the Argo II and wrap around the statue. One lassoed Athena’s neck like a noose. Leo shouted orders from the helm as Jason and Frank flew from line to line, trying to secure them. Nico had just reached the ladder when a sharp pain shot up Annabeth’s bad leg. She gasped and stumbled.

“What is it?” Percy asked.

She tried to stagger towards the ladder. Why was she moving backwards instead? Her legs swept out from under her and she fell on her face.

“Her ankle!” Hazel shouted from the ladder. “Cut it! Cut it!”

Annabeth’s mind was woolly from pain. Cut her ankle?

Apparently Percy didn’t realize what Hazel meant either.

Then something yanked Annabeth backwards and dragged her towards the pit. Percy lunged. He grabbed her arm, but the momentum carried him along as well.

“Help them!” Hazel yelled.

Annabeth glimpsed Nico hobbling in their direction, Hazel trying to disentangle her cavalry sword from the rope ladder. Their other friends were still focused on the statue, and Hazel’s cry was lost in the general shouting and the rumbling of the cavern.

Annabeth sobbed as she hit the edge of the pit. Her legs went over the side Too late, she realized what was happening: she was tangled in the spider silk. She should have cut it away immediately. She had thought it was just a loose line, but with the entire floor covered in cobwebs, she hadn’t noticed that one of the strands was wrapped around her foot – and the other went straight into the pit. It was attached to something heavy down in the darkness, something was pulling her in.

“No.” Percy muttered, light dawning in his eyes. “my sword…”

But her couldn’t reach riptide without letting go of Annabeth’s arm, and Annabeth’s strength was gone. She slipped over the edge. Percy fell with her.

Her body slammed into something. She must have blacked out briefly from pain. When she could see again, she realized she’d fallen partway into the pit and was dangling over the void. Percy had managed to grab a ledge about fifteen feet below the top of the chasm. He was holding on with one hand, gripping Annabeth’s wrist with the other, but the pull on her leg was much to strong.

No escape said a voice in the darkness below. I go to Tartarus, and you will come, too.

Annabeth wasn’t sure if she actually heard Arachne’s voice or if it was just in her mind.

The put shook. Percy was barely hanging onto a ledge the size of a bookshelf.

Nico leaned over the edge of the chasm, thrusting out his hand, but he was much too far away to help. Hazel was yelling for the others, but even if they heard her over all the chaos they’d never make it in time.