4 - The Letter to Change a Course

Weeks later, our spring break began. And with it, from what we recovered from the institution's records, my birthday.

I thought it was a joke at first, April 1st. April fool's day being my birthday.

The Kens and the Ewings always did something big for me, but this year I had refused to do anything big, I was 11 now, that meant something special would happen. Once school ended for the year, I would either get a letter from Salem's Academy for Young Witches or Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Mrs. E had explained a few years ago that I was a witch after an incident occured at school in which my teacher had green hair for a month after I had gotten into an argument with him over my grade on a book report (I felt I had deserved at least a B, Mrs. E agreed with me. Him not so much; he failed me.) And she told me she didn't know where I had been born so there was no telling which one I would get.

After the usual birthday bash, minus the usual amount of people, I spent the rest of the week chilling out with Jeremy and reading my favorite author's new book.

●~●~●~●~●

The month before the end of school was spent as usual, doing worksheets or nothing in classes. We were all ecstatic when the last bell rang on the last day, releasing us into the torrent of water balloons and water guns being fired in all directions until you could get to your bus or your parent's car.

I spent a week stressing over which letter would arrive, and imagining different sinarios that could happen; Jeremy could go to one and I'd to another, I'd go the the wrong one to meet my true family, etc.

Then I realized that the stress wad unwarranted and whatever happened wasn't up to me, it was up to the system.

Of course, I also knew that this was a consequence of living in America when the greatest chance of meeting my family would be in my presumed birth country, Britain. However, we moved to America avoid being close to where the institution was. Mr. and Mrs. E thought it would be a lot better for Jeremy and I's mental health to avoid where we were locked up for so long.

Shortly after I moved in, I discovered how they remembered Jeremy and giving him up. Apparently Jeremy's twin, Jake, had died due to a genetic disorder that no one knew he had; Jeremy had avoided dying from the disease himself due to the chemicals used in the testing done at the institution.

Anyway on a slightly less dark topic, my letter is supposed to come today, and I can't wait!

When 2 o'clock rolled around, I stood at the mailbox and waited for the mailman. He handed me the mail and drove on. I looked in the stack he handed me to see one letter addressed:

Ms. C .Ewing
9524 Talulia Court
Florida, USA

and another addressed:

Ms. M. Weasley
9525 Talulia Court
Flordia, USA

Who is M. Weasley?

●~●~●~●~●

WOHOO NEW CHAPTER okay sorry this took forever but here you go! I have two more weeks of school, but one of them is completely early release and the other I have a bunch of free periods in because I'm exempt from the final. I'll update when I can, hope to see y'all soon!