Chapter 6

"Oh well, let's go shopping or something." She shrugs, giving her a passive glance before unlocking the truck and hopping in. When Arielle jumps in, she has this shimmering look of wonder in her eyes and Ali can't help her chuckle, before starting the truck and revving the engine.

"I've never done anything like this before." She giggles, giving Ali a look of pure amazement. Thinking for a second, she realizes she might have created a monster.

"Rebelled? Doesn't every teenage girl?" She asks, unsure where this girl was from or how she was raised.

"Did you? Because I never have." She answers, shaking her head.

"Sure did." Ali nods, a devilish smirk on her full lips.

"How? Gothic? Barbie girl makeup? Serial dating? Sex?" She asks, chattering quickly.

"No, no, no, and ewe. I'm still a virgin, thanks. Bullriding. Mama always tried to stop me. Asked me to go to college and get a degree in something useful. Because when I'm forty, I won't be a spring chicken. So I been thinkin', and I'm gonna be a nurse after I get World Finals under my belt." She nods, chuckling at the unintended pun.

"So, how did you even get into bull riding?" She asks, giving her a confused look.

"Well, when I was eight, my daddy bought a brand new, real shiny drop barrel, and me, him, Hank, and LB would all ride this thing for hours. Daddy and Hank had it for the PBR, but LB and I couldn't wait to do what our daddies were doing. So we started with mutton bustin', then it went to youth riding. After youth, LB and me went on a rodeo circuit before we finally made it to the big leagues. And here we are." She smiles and points to the mall, lit up like the White House Christmas tree.

"Wow. So you two have been friends for that long?" She asks as they disembark the truck.

"Not really. In high school we were almost enemies until we were back on the bulls. He would try for hours to get me to cry, or to punch him, and one time I did." She replies, giving the girl an honest answer.

"Punched him?" She gasps, giving her a look of shock.

"Yes ma'am! Right in the kisser. He quit tryin' after that." She laughs as they step onto the sidewalk, nearing the door in the chilly night.

"That's crazy! How-"

"Enough questions. Or I'll start asking you questions." She taunts, giving her a playful stern look.

"Okay, so what your favorite color?" She asks as she leads Ali to a small boutique, pointing to a large, extravagant green dress without straps.

"Red. Dark red." She replies, giving her an unimpressed look.

"I can work with that. And heels?" She asks, pleading with big doe eyes.

"Fine." She grumbles, shaking her head and already regretting the decision.

"When is this event?" She asks, holding up a simple pink dress, shimmering straps and bust, the rest a rosy pink, pooling at the floor. Ali shakes her head, not a fan of the simmering top half.

"In two days." She replies nonchalantly, never making eye contact.

"We should probably buy heels first. Simple black goes with everything." Dragging the rider back to the rear of the store where tall, blaze orange heels covered a whole rack, another shelf held different styles of black heels.

"Ooh!" The petite photographer grabs a pair of heels, three inches tall, and the toe is open.

"Oh no. Not--" the girl shuts her up immediately with a glare and hands her the shoe.