*Twelve*

Avery

The day had come to say goodbye to Michael. I promised myself that I wasn't going to cry, but I knew that I would be crying at some point before the day was over. This had been the best week of my life and I didn't want it to end.

I drove him to the airport. It was a long and quiet drive. I was scared that if I talked, then I would cry for sure. He just sat there and looked out the window. I saw him look at me every so often, but he still never said anything.

"Are you okay?" He finally asked.

"Never better." I said.

And that was it, nothing else after that. I pulled into the airport parking lot and helped him get his stuff out. Even though it was only two bags.

We got inside and he checked in one of his bags and then he had one that he was taking with him on the plane. A couple of people saw him and asked for pictures. They saw me, but I stayed back and didn't say anything. I tried to just blend in, but it was hard.

Once they left, Michael turned to me. I could already feel my eyes start to water and tears stinging the back of them. I wasn't ready, I wasn't ready for him to leave, I wasn't ready to say goodbye.

"Well, I guess this is it." He said.

"Yeah, I guess so."

I walked closer to him and then he wrapped his arms around me and engulfed me in a hug. I did the same and I didn't want to let go.

"I don't want you to go." I finally said.

"I wish I didn't have to, but I do." He said.

We parted and he looked at me. He tugged lightly at a strand of my hair.

"I'll see you soon, I promise." He said.

They called his flight number and he grabbed his bag in his arms.

"Bye Avery, I'll see you soon."

"Bye Michael." I said.

He kissed my on the cheek and then walked to the loading gate. He turned and waved to me, I waved back.

"I love you." I whispered.

But he didn't see me or hear it. He had already turned his back and disappeared inside the tunnel. I walked back to my car and drove back home, all the while wondering how long it would take me to tell him that in person.

-----------

Michael

"Michael? Michael?" Luke said.

"Uh yeah." I said.

"Did you hear what I just said?"

"No, did you say something?" I asked.

He sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Dude what is wrong with you?" He asked.

"I'm fine."

But the truth was, I wasn't fine. It had been over a week since I had been with Avery and she was all I could think about. We had started talking more and more and I knew that I was falling for her.

It was bugging me because I didn't know if it was right or not. I knew if we got together that the hate would come, and I didn't want to put her through that. She already had enough problems, but I really wanted to date her. I just didn't know what to do.

"Okay, well can you please try and pay attention." Luke said.

"Yeah, sorry." I said.

We went through the song one more time and when we were done, Calum walked over to me. He put his hand on my shoulder.

"What's going on with you, man?" He asked.

"And don't say nothing. I'm your best friend, I'm not stupid."

I shook my head and sat down on the edge of the stage.

"I don't know what to do, Cal."

"About what?"

"It's Avery."

"Ah I see. You like her, don't you?"

"Yes, a lot. But I don't know if we should date or not."

"Why not? I'm sure she likes you."

"No, it's not that. It's the hate. I know she'll get it, she's already been through enough.  That's the last thing she needs."

"Yeah, I understand. But you could do it secretly. Just don't tell anyone." He said.

"True. But how could we? We wouldn't be able to go anywhere and she wouldn't get to come on tour with us."

"She's a photographer right?" He asked.

"Yeah." I said.

"Then she can come and be out personal photographer. That way she can be with you and have a cover so no one suspects anything."

"Calum you are brilliant. This is why you're my best friend." I said as I hugged him.

"Oh well, I guess I am pretty smart."

"Yes you are. I'm gonna go call her right now and tell her. "

"Wait," Cal said. "Have you told her you want to date?"

"Well, no. But I don't want to ask her over the phone. I'll tell her about the photograph thing and then once she's here, I'll ask her out."

"Okay, but don't you should check and make sure it's okay for her to come? Like as the photographer."

"I guess so. I'll go find the tour manager and ask."

I found the manager and he said it was fine with him. And I went to tell Avery, I honestly couldn't wait to tell her and for her to get here. I had missed her way more then I ever thought I would.

--------

I hope y'all are enjoying this story! Please comment and vote😘