Chapter 9

As soon as Jake, Trixie, and Spud appeared back in Lao Shi's shop in New York City, they were set upon by Jake's grandfather. The elderly man had been waiting for them, staring intensely on the spot he knew they would appear. Immediately he walked over and stared up at them. "Trixie, Spud, you go home. Jake, you come with me. I need to speak with you."

"But they-" Jake was cut off.

"No buts. What I'm about to tell you is not confidential, but I'd rather speak to you in private before you relay any information. You can tell your friends all about it later as you see fit." he said firmly, giving a just as hard stare at Trixie and Spud. Although both of them looked a little insulted, they and Jake knew there would be no way to persuade Lao Shi otherwise. They bid the dragon master and student goodbye for the day and went promptly home.

Lao Shi turned the sign at the door from open to closed and began hastily walking to the backroom. "Come, come." he ushered. Jake followed obediently, and Fu Dog was already waiting inside the back, fiddling with a potion of some sort. He smiled.

"Hey, Jake, how are ya?" he asked kindly.

"I'm good, Fu. How about you?" Jake replied. Fu snorted and shrugged.

"Kind of had a run in with this three-headed dog in the market. I...may have flirted with her and she didn't like it. Bopped me on the nose good." He rubbed said part of his body. "A little sore, but I'm good."

"Hah! Sorry to hear that." Jake said and laughed. Lao Shi took a seat and frowned.

"Jake, pay attention and listen to me. Take a seat." Jake obeyed and quietly sat on the third stool in the room. Lao Shi crossed his arms. "I have some news. The Dragon Council was not at all happy to hear about this business with the Ninja and the ghost child."

"I'm not in trouble, am I?" Jake inquired, looking immediately worried. His grandfather shook his head.

"No, no, let me finish. It's not because of you, it's because the Ninja wasn't supposed to find out about our world so early, and the fact he has a friend who's also in the know. Both of them are going to talk to the Council separately from Daniel Fenton and his allies." His frown deepened. "They're going to get a firm talking-to about keeping this all a secret. There have been Ninjas in the past, specifically one in 1985, who abused their power and responsibility." The elder grimaced at the memory. "This is why they wait until their period as the Ninja is up to decide whether or not they are ready to be introduced to our community. The last time a ninja was introduced to our world was several hundred years ago. Randy Cunningham is going to have a close eye kept on him. Never before has a ninja so prematurely found out about us."

Jake smiled. "It's okay, Grandpa. The guy's actually okay. He's new, but he's a good guy and he's loyal. I like him."

"That is all good and well, but the Council won't be assured of that until they see his actions."

"Why not just erase his memory?" Fu Dog asked calmly, stirring his potion. Lao Shi sighed.

"That's out of the question. The council believes that the Ninja, Danny Phantom, and you, Jake, may have to team up again in the future. Removing the Ninja's memory would cause problems."

"Oh." Fu and Jake said simply, not quite sure how to respond. Fortunately, Lao Shi began to spoke about someone else. That someone else was Danny Fenton. What he had to say was good news, but he still looked displeased.

"However, good news for Daniel Fenton. He was previously suspected of crimes, like assault and theft." He shook his head. "With a little investigation, the Council has determined that for one of the crimes he was under the influence of a magical staff, since destroyed," The grandfather looked a little relieved at the word destroyed, "and was framed the other time. That was discovered easily; there are multiple signs pointing to possession of townspeople, namely the mayor. His further actions leave the impression he's maturing slowly but surely and apt to do the good thing." Jake grinned as his grandfather talked. "The friends who help him are from what can be observed just as loyal and good. With a little training the Council feels he could be a worthy and useful ally to keep the peace alongside us."