Chap. 2

"What are you doing?" Chase asked, as I finished running Emma's flat-iron through my hair.

"It's called straightening my hair," I said, turning off the flat-iron.

"It looks really pretty."

I smiled. "Thanks."

"You look really pretty. Is that what you're wearing to school?"

I nodded and did a turn for him.

"Zoe, come downstairs for breakfast," Emma's voice said over the intercom.

"Alright tour guide, lead me to the kitchen," I said to Chase.

I followed him to the stairs and down to the first floor. We walked through some hallways and rooms and then reached the kitchen.

"Good morning," Emma said, with a smile. She looked gorgeous, even though she was still in her pajamas.

Eileen handed me two cinnamon rolls, which smelled delicious.

"Carson should be down here in a few minutes. He'll be taking you to school."

This was my third day here, and I have yet to meet Carson Walker, though I'd heard plenty of stories, none of them flattering.

Chase sat down across from me, with his own cinnamon rolls. "Lucky you," he said to me, with a smile.

Emma pressed the intercom button. "Carson Walker, get your butt downstairs. You're going to make Zoe late for her first day of school."

"Keep your pants on mom" a male voice said back. "I'll be down in a few."

Emma rolled her eyes. "I'm sorry Zoe."

I shrugged. "It's no big deal, really."

Rob came into the kitchen, dressed in a suit and tie. He smiled at me. "Good morning Zoe. Did you sleep well?"

I nodded. "Your house is amazing."

He chuckled. "You sure do know how to flatter someone." He looked at his watch. "I should get going."

He gave Emma a kiss, and grabbed his wallet and cell phone. "Have a great first day Zoe," he said to me, with a smile. His smile quickly turned into a frown. "Where's Carson?"

"Coming," Emma said, shaking her head.

"Tell him that if he makes Zoe late, he'll have to deal with me."

Judging by the look on Chase's face, I had a feeling that Carson probably didn't want to make me late for school.

Rob left, and Emma looked at the clock. "I wish I could wait, but I have to get ready to take the boys to school," she said to me.

She beckoned me over and pulled me into a tight hug. "Have a fantastic day Zoe!"

"Thanks."

She walked out of the kitchen, and I took my seat. I started on my cinnamon rolls.

"Zoe?" Chase asked.

"Yes?"

"Will you still be my friend even if Carson isn't?"

I laughed and nodded. "Of course. You and I are best friends."

He smiled. "Okay!"

"Get upstairs," Eileen said to Chase. "You're going to be late for school if you don't go get ready."

"Bye Zoe," Chase said, giving me a quick hug. He ran out of the kitchen.

"Don't let Chase get to you. Carson isn't really that bad," Eileen said, shaking her head.